One TGO = good. Population = Bad

Started by neon22, September 02, 2007, 12:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon22

In the latest build: 1.9.03.1
Attached is image showing a TGO file with UV mapping as a single object. (Good)
And as a population. (Bad)

Looks like the UV's are not being indexed for first(?) vertex in a face if population is used. Instead using black.

But fine when on its own. Only a problem for populations.

I would really appreciate fix for this...

Harvey Birdman

Buzzzzz

Oh No! Hope this is not a new constant problem.

Lucio

Same problem for me. I tested multiple TGO and OBJ objects, even disabling smoothed normals.. seems to be a populator issue. Big deal  :(

Buzzzzz

I'll do some tests after this render finishes probably tomorrow.

Harvey Birdman

If this is confirmed (and it seems Lucio has confirmed it), this is a killer. The program is unusable for what I need while this is true.

Lucio

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on September 02, 2007, 06:38:01 PM
If this is confirmed (and it seems Lucio has confirmed it), this is a killer. The program is unusable for what I need while this is true.

Harvey, I've already uninstalled the new release. It's the second time that this happens. I've had to do it with the first upgrade (version 1.8.76.0) because it increased painfully rendertimes and now, for a never-seen-before problem... The new release is pretty good, but this issue makes it almost unusable. I hope in a quick fix from Planetside. A lot of time has passed, and I'm still using the first public release, version 1.8.64.0. It's a little frustrating.

jo

Hi Lucio,

Quote from: Lucio on September 02, 2007, 07:03:46 PMA lot of time has passed, and I'm still using the first public release, version 1.8.64.0. It's a little frustrating.

Why are you still using that version exactly? Things have moved on a lot since then, a lot of problems have been fixed, particularly regarding object support.

Regards,

Jo

cyphyr

Seems to be working for me with the latest release. I'll try with a more complex obj later but actually this is the first release I've been able to get the uv mapping to work. Your image seems to have a smoothing problem with the obj rather that an indexing one. Also I notice you've got the populator set the 12 unique variations, at the moment this function dose nothing  ??? Are you saving the imported obj out as a tgo and using that in your population?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Harvey Birdman

Thanks for posting this, Richard. This one has me concerned. I'd appreciate it if you'd post any additional findings on this. I haven't had a chance to experiment with this myself yet.

Lucio

Quote from: jo on September 02, 2007, 10:41:35 PM
Hi Lucio,

Quote from: Lucio on September 02, 2007, 07:03:46 PMA lot of time has passed, and I'm still using the first public release, version 1.8.64.0. It's a little frustrating.

Why are you still using that version exactly? Things have moved on a lot since then, a lot of problems have been fixed, particularly regarding object support.

Regards,

Jo

Hi Jo,

The reason why I still utilize the first public release is simple: the two updates are useless to me.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't want to seem aggressive or what, I decided to prepurchase TG2 immediately because I wanted to use it not only for entertainment, but also for some (little) commercial purpose and yeah, it's clear that software development is underway, rendertimes are still too long, a large amount of things are still not optimized etc. and I deal with that with no problem. I'm very happy with this package anyway.

However I've had to uninstall immediately the second release, because it increased rendertimes a lot, especially when rendering skies (that are already so long to realize). I don't know how my PC specs contributed in fact, but in many cases rendertimes even doubled. I just can't spend up so much time in rendering, so I returned to the first release.

Now I've uninstalled this third release for what seems to me a populator issue, that I just can't resolve. Single objects are rendered with no problem, and populations are always rendered with black vertices, so I don't think the problem can be related to the objects geometry. I've tested many TGDs with object populations that works fine in the precedent releases, and always give the same problem in this build. I'll post some high detail example in this thread to give a clear idea of the results that I get.

In conclusion... I'm still using the first public release because among the three version released today it's the 'less problematic' and the only that I can really use for my purposes, even if it can crash sometime and lacks of many of the things that have been implemented in the successive updates.

Regards,

Lucio

cyphyr

Hi Lucio
Would you mind posting the object so I could have a go at rendering it. I have a number of object conversion utilities, one of them might help the problem.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Lucio

Ok, here's an example

Simple .obj sphere, with no textures

1 - as a single object

2 - as a population (terrible)

Why?

I've alleged a zip file with TGDs and object, so everyone can do the same test and see what happens

Thank you very much,

Lucio

cyphyr

Well I can confirm that there is a problem. Sorry I missed it at first (a deficiency of coffee :) ).

The two images below illustrate very well whats happening. I used the obj supplied by Lucio and recreated one myself (the one you see used below) in Lightwave. I tried both tripled and quad versions, same result. One thing I did notice in your file Lucio was that there was a very small displacement applied via the Default shader. Removing it stopped the break up but not the lighting artifacts. I think in your image above a similar small displacement is present (not sure about this). Finally I loaded in the box obj I made this morning and noticed that although there was no breakup there was same weird lighting. It is noticeable on the first image I posted but I had thought nothing of it. In each of the images below there is one single object in the middle of a population. Its obvious which the single object is.

Hope this can be fixed soon

Richard

ps I dont think this is limited to uv issues, the balls have no uv coordinates on them.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Harvey Birdman

Nice work illustrating the problem, guys.

Please, please Matt, Jo et al - don't wait till the next scheduled update to fix this one! Hopefully it will turn out to be something isolated and quickly fixed...