Workflow tools

Started by BPauba, January 05, 2007, 11:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPauba

Being able to move around in a program is a very powerful and important action, I think we can all agree on that statement. I am wondering what Planetside has in mind to help create an efficient system in which would help us be able to do so. Many programs have hot keys, custom palettes, and editable workspaces which really helps smooth out the workflow. What would everyone like to see out of Planetside? (dealing with efficiency tools)

I would like to see a customizable pie menu system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_menu
I think looking at "modo" for inspiration would not hurt at all ;).
I am looking forward what everyone has on their mind and what Planetside does for the final version.

oggyb

Pie menus should be used as standard in windows. . . but we know how likely to happen that is.

3DGuy

Pie menus are evil. What's wrong with the standard context menu?

RealUser

PIE menus are very useful! I am using Realsoft3D and it has PIE menues (called compass menus in RS3D), which makes it very easy and quick to find the right action or method for the object to edit. The best thing is, they are customizable. So, every user can change the PIE to his needs. One of the best features regarding this kind of menu is: They are context sensitiv. So, if you click on a Subdivison-Surface, you only get the tools for SDS. If you click on a curve, you can select curve tools. This way, you don't have to move around with the mouse and find the right tool or menu. Certainly, this would be very handy for TG2. Ask the users of Maya, Realsoft3D or any other major 3D software. They always use this kind of "menu".
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

3DGuy

Standard contexts menu's are also context sensitive... hence the name ;) And they can also be modified, if the programmer adds that functionality. I rather see things in a list than in a circle. I use 3DS MAX, and it doesn't use pie menu's.

BPauba

I would really like customizable pie menus because they are fast and easy. I believe you can assign a certain key/mouse stroke to bring up custom pie menus, and that would be fast and easy when it comes to most work in TG2. there is nothing wrong with the current way of selectioning functions and nnodes, but it could be put together alot better and could be customizable, and I think the pie way would be the best way (my opinion).

rcallicotte

I'm fine with the present menu system.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

crazymonkey

can't say i've ever used pie menus, can't say i have a problem with the current menus either.

each to their own it would seem.

oggyb

Pie and standard menus both have their equal functions, but after getting used to the memory effect of click-n-drag to get what you want, looking through menus suddenly seems more fuss!

The best sort of standard menu is one that's right on the edge of the screen, like the mac version.  The only step further into usability is pies.  Lots of them.

Apple pies.

M.

RealUser

I think this is kind of personal taste. I was sceptic when i was first using pie menus, but one get very fast used to it.
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

ProjectX

The only time I've ever used a pie menu was in Battlefield 2, and it worked there. I guess if something works when you need it to work quickly (i.e. under enemy fire in a game) then it must be quite efficent.

Oshyan

As you can see there is a wide variety of opinion and preference about this sort of thing. We will be working toward the most functional, usable, smooth workflow possible and will certainly be taking this kind of feedback into account along the way. What works for one application doesn't necessarily work in another, but we will of course take reasonable cues and good examples from other applications (where legal issues are not a concern at least).

We encourage you to continue giving your suggestions but unfortunately we won't be able to respond individually to each one. Nonetheless they will be read and considered in the grand scheme of things.

Terragen is a product in the midst of a real revolution in its fundamental approach. Terragen 2 is but the first (albeit probably most significant) stages in this. The final TG2 UI will be as streamlined and functional as possible but just as with other applications like Modo there are always improvements to be made. We will continue to refine both the UI and underlying capabilities of Terragen, knowing that perfection can never truly be achieved.

- Oshyan