Tidal area, some time ago...

Started by Dune, June 16, 2017, 12:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Dune

Made another Neanderguy. I might do some footsteps in the circled areas. No water layer, btw.  ;)

Kadri

Looks good Ulco.
Did you use the same terrain as water? If so i can't see any difference. It looks great.
Was it just a test or does it help in any way for your workflow or render time?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on June 19, 2017, 09:48:58 AM

Looks good Ulco.
Did you use the same terrain as water? If so i can't see any difference. It looks great.
Was it just a test or does it help in any way for your workflow or render time?

I think the water is just a nicely textures terrain as well Kadri...great trick Ulco
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

dorianvan

Very nice. Kid looks great. Might add a little stepping muscles in ZBrush though :)
-Dorian

Dune

Muscle is a good idea. And yes, it's all one terrain, all masked by simple shapes and fractals. Plus is that you don't get a sharp distinction between water and (wet) sand. In reality, there's some adhesion between sand grains and liquid, and on small scale renders, I always miss that.
I made one mistake, having the RT reflectivity creep into the sand grains too much, so these parts took forever to render. I changed that now, reducing lower half from a 1hour render to 10mins.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2017, 02:38:13 AM
... Plus is that you don't get a sharp distinction between water and (wet) sand. In reality, there's some adhesion between sand grains and liquid, and on small scale renders, I always miss that.

That makes sense. Thanks Ulco.

luvsmuzik

So, are you changing y altitude on your SSSs by small measure to get this layering effect? I agree about the shininess of the transitional wet sand. That area needs some break in the smoothness.
Wonderful image!

Dune

Indeed. Can get a bit more complicated if adding more details, such as the foam patches or (newly added in next iteration) ripple-mix on the wet sand area, especially when the ripples need to be masked out from under the foam patches and footsteps (just added as well) again. Hence the multiply and add nodes  ;)
Surf also has a breaking end, which is not very well visible from here.

bobbystahr

Just watching, in a state of awe, as this develops......
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Well, it's rendering now, but quite slow, due to RT reflections. Impatient as I am, I still prefer things without water or RT reflections  :P

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2017, 11:14:04 AM
Well, it's rendering now, but quite slow, due to RT reflections. Impatient as I am, I still prefer things without water or RT reflections  :P

Beauty often comes with a steep price eh....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

He looks as if he is ice skating more than running. I look forward to next render
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

Actually he was the one and only Neanderthal to have invented skating  ;)

DocCharly65

Great improvements!

Though you will get trouble with adding more details -- sorry you were one of the teachers where I learned the view for such details...  ;)

Two little things:
For a realistic impression of the movement you will need some water splashes around the foot in the sand and some droplets slashing from the foot in the air.

The sand looks good but the sand particles seem to be a bit big... mixed with bigger particles (fakestones) or alternatively finer particles could look interesting.

... but both points really nitpicking ...  :)