DirectX 10 for Windows XP

Started by rcallicotte, September 18, 2007, 12:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikita

I don't think it's about trust.
At least home PCs don't come with xp anymore so anyone who wants to buy a new one is going to have vista no matter if he trusts it or not.
Vista could have been a good OS. But why on earth does a new windows always have to use twice as much ram as and cpu compared to it's predecessor?

(You'd think universities are clever and wait.. not over here, they replaced xp with vista on some P4s. Fortunately, there are unix pcs or thin clients as an alternative.)

Ironshirt

Microsoft needed  6 years of further development and bugfixing to create a half-decent, half-way secure OS (seen very optimistically  ;))

And now they throw everything overboard and begin to replace one disease with another (worse) one....
and the fiasco begins from scratch...

For Vista you need 64Bit and 4GB Ram just to make the new 3D Desktop environment run fluently...

Have a look at linux in combination with beryl. you may notice that you need half of the hardware power for that and beryl even looks better...

I'm really lookin forward to a TG2 linux version - TG2 is the only reason why I'm using XP any more...

Oshyan

Does nobody remember how much slower OS X was with its own new flashy UI? It's not a uniquely Microsoft disease. It's the disease of thinking (and unfortunately perhaps they're right) that it's flashy visuals and a shiny candy look that sells an OS, not baseline features, performance and stability. I would guess that at least 50% of the reason for Vista's higher system requirements comes down to visual or other aesthetic "enhancements", not new features. Personally I was happiest with Win2k's clean look and solid performance. In XP I usually just switch to the 2K-like theme. With Vista you actually lose some capability doing that I believe.

Anyway I'm not saying you need to take up lots of resources just to have a nice-looking desktop. But the major players still seem to be caught in doing that, including Apple. I hear OS X can still be laggy for certain visual effects except on the best of new machines. Perhaps we just don't know all that's involved in doing that level of visuals across the whole OS. But I for one would much rather see time and resources put into other areas. We'd have more feature-full, more stable, better overall OS's that ran faster with less resources if there was less emphasis on visuals, fancy transition effects, etc.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

agree with Oshyan.....I personally like xp vsuals better than vista since vista throws in transparency and that just eats away you memory!....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Oshyan on September 20, 2007, 03:27:59 PM
Yes, yes it is. I've also got 8GB of RAM and an 8800GTS superclocked. ;D

- Oshyan

Hey Oshyan....I was wondering, for DX10 video cards.....do I need a DX10 compatible mobo or there is no such thing as dx10 compitable mobo...right now I have this mobo

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2637

moodflow

Just say NO to Vista and YES to DX10 on XP.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Oshyan

Quote from: dhavalmistry on September 23, 2007, 10:53:15 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on September 20, 2007, 03:27:59 PM
Yes, yes it is. I've also got 8GB of RAM and an 8800GTS superclocked. ;D

- Oshyan

Hey Oshyan....I was wondering, for DX10 video cards.....do I need a DX10 compatible mobo or there is no such thing as dx10 compitable mobo...right now I have this mobo

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2637
You don't need a DX10 motherboard (unless your graphics chipset is onboard, which you wouldn't want anyway). Any board that can fit a DX10 graphics card (currently PCI Express only, I'm fairly sure) will work.

Incidentally I forgot to mention that Dell and some other manufacturers *are* still selling XP as an option. There is also some talk of the EU requiring PC manufacturers to allow *no* OS options from system builders.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Oshyan on September 25, 2007, 04:18:22 PM

Incidentally I forgot to mention that Dell and some other manufacturers *are* still selling XP as an option. There is also some talk of the EU requiring PC manufacturers to allow *no* OS options from system builders.

- Oshyan

Alienware is the one company I have seen so far that offers "No OS preinstalled" options but they are expensive as hell.....

dhavalmistry

and since we are on topic of quadcores and DX10...I was wondering if there are any official dates of releasing laptops with quadcores and DX10 videocards equipped??

rcallicotte

Quote from: Oshyan on September 25, 2007, 04:18:22 PM
There is also some talk of the EU requiring PC manufacturers to allow *no* OS options from system builders.

- Oshyan

Go Europe!  This is what we've needed for decades...genuine competition.  And just as Linus is coming out with a new version of Linux.  People have only dreamed about this being a possibility in America and this could be the change the IT industry needs. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

reck

Quote from: Ironshirt on September 21, 2007, 08:33:50 AM

For Vista you need 64Bit and 4GB Ram just to make the new 3D Desktop environment run fluently...

I've got an old(ish) Athlon 64 2Ghz with 2GB of RAM running Vista32 very smoothly out the box. Same with my system at home which is 2GB Vista 32bit OS. It sounds you may have had other problems on a machine and were led to believe it was a performace problem with Vista. Where did you get the 64bit 4gb figures from?

The only time i've seen the 3D environment stutter on Vista, is on systems with <1GB of RAM.

I still think Vista needs some performance tweaks though, for instance it seems to take to long switching between user accounts. From what i've read SP1 is supposed to improve this side of Vista allegedly.

Quotevista throws in transparency and that just eats away you memory!....

I'm not sure about this but doesn't the new 3d environment chuck this out to the GFX card to handle instead of the actual system? If so it might be using the memory on your gfx card and not actually that much system memory.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: reck on September 28, 2007, 08:28:12 AM
I'm not sure about this but doesn't the new 3d environment through this out to the GFX card to handle instead of the actual system? If so it might be using the memory on your gfx card and not actually that much system memory.

you may be right.....I just bought this game "World in Conflict"........awesome game and I am trying to play it but every 5 mins into the game, I get the error saying "There is not enough memory to run this application"

I have following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
4GB of DDR2 (800 MHz) Ram
BFG 7900 Ultra OC (512 MB)
Vista 32-bit (Animated desktop disabled, Transparency enabled)
2 exhaust and 1 intake fan

I am not sure what causing this problem.....I am gonna try to connect to customer service and see what they have to say!

reck

Thats strange, it's got to be some bug with World in Conflict. I know that game needs a beefy system but you should have no problems playing it with that CPU and amount of memory, no idea about gfx cards though.

I'd try posting in some of the game forums as well, it's possible someone else has ran into this problem as well.

BTW a bit OT but how is that game? I've read it's more of a multiplayer RTS then a single player one. I'm playing company of heroes atm and should get the new expansion tomorrow, Opposing force.

dhavalmistry

my brother just got COH:OP and its awesome....I am gonna start playing it since WIC isnt working and I have played demo and its awesome specially the nuke blast and the smokes that rise due to explosions and I also have Ageia physics card and it looks even better with card.....

Saurav

Quote from: dhavalmistry on September 28, 2007, 11:27:19 AM

you may be right.....I just bought this game "World in Conflict"........awesome game and I am trying to play it but every 5 mins into the game, I get the error saying "There is not enough memory to run this application"

I have following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
4GB of DDR2 (800 MHz) Ram
BFG 7900 Ultra OC (512 MB)
Vista 32-bit (Animated desktop disabled, Transparency enabled)
2 exhaust and 1 intake fan

I am not sure what causing this problem.....I am gonna try to connect to customer service and see what they have to say!

You may need the OOM (out of memory fix) for vista with that game, I was having similar issues with Flight SImulator X but this update from Microsoft seems to have fixed that. I also have 4GB of RAM but I run Vista64.

You can read the details and download the fix from Microsoft  knowledge base.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105