Hannes' Cliff WIPs

Started by Hannes, January 19, 2018, 05:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

Quote from: mhaze on March 02, 2018, 11:29:29 AM
Shame, it's a great image.  I've been unable to make lateral displacement work with displaceable spheres.

If you chain a few displaced spheres together you can make the arch. That's how Vue's Metablobs work. Same principal. In fact Dune's v3 Beach uses the same technique
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

I like this new setup. I'm (pretty) sure you'll be able to get the sphere or cube this shape. Redirects, vdisp, simple shape....

mhaze

Many years ago someone(FrankB?) made an arch by repeatedly displacing and redirecting a masked PF.

DannyG

Quote from: mhaze on March 02, 2018, 01:53:34 PM
Many years ago someone(FrankB?) made an arch by repeatedly displacing and redirecting a masked PF.

That was oldblaggard I believe.

The below arch Paul created using a different technique, (read explanation on CG) I have the file Paul shared some years back that Mick is speaking of, however without his consent I cannot post any info or share the file. He did it 8 years ago so its more than possible with v4

http://oldblaggard.cgsociety.org/art/terragen-arch-desert-landscape-archway-654101
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Hannes

Thanks guys, I found an arch in the TG preset files. I could edit it and put it into the scene exactly where the imported one was.
I'm at work atm, and will post the result tomorrow.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on March 02, 2018, 05:42:20 PM
Thanks guys, I found an arch in the TG preset files. I could edit it and put it into the scene exactly where the imported one was.
I'm at work atm, and will post the result tomorrow.

Ah yes the one in the presets package the the sample scene uses
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yeah, I think I made that some years ago, but you may also use a simple shape and local twist and sheer to bend part of the planet up and to the side, then use another (shifted left) simple shape to bend the top down again towards the cliff.

Hannes

Here it is. To me it looks better than the imported model. Cool.
On the upper end the arch is not yet "married" with the cliff, but either I'll play with the textures a bit more, or I may cover this area with some vegetation.

Dune

DannyG

That actually look's more natural than the torus, I am glad you got this sorted so quickly
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

bobbystahr

Well done, I agree with Danny, and TG textures native geometry way nicer than imported, at least in my experience...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Absolutely true!! First I chose the easy (lazy) way, and I'm really glad that Danny pointed out, that I should do this inside TG. I played a bit with displacement and (procedural) texturing, and I think it looks way better than the imported one.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on March 03, 2018, 09:46:18 AM
I think it looks way better than the imported one.

Totally..finely integrated...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

That looks wicked Hannes, again well done. I can't wait to see where this one is going now
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

luvsmuzik

Well Done ! :)  I recently tried this with a well rounded cube, setting my simple shape near one end and it worked pretty well.