Hannes' Cliff WIPs

Started by Hannes, January 19, 2018, 05:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thanks Bobby. I like it best as well, and I think I'll take this one.
I'm not sure when I added the crocs. And the blue bird... ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on March 16, 2018, 12:25:35 PM
Thanks Bobby. I like it best as well, and I think I'll take this one.
I'm not sure when I added the crocs. And the blue bird... ;)

Damn, now I gotta go find waldo the blue bird heh heh heh

D'oh LOL...good one!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

I think this is pretty fantastic! I especially love that blue bird on the croc's nose. Realistic *and* amusing. :D

That being said my only minor criticism would be that the sky seems a bit too dark blue to me. I am used to seeing brighter, clearer blue skies in tropical places (when they are not super cloudy and/or raining ;) ). For example (from Hawaii):

and

- Oshyan

Oshyan

This is probably really a matter of taste, but as I look more I find the whole image too shifted toward the yellow. I know there is an intention to create a "heavy", wet look, with a lot of atmosphere, maybe even with the sun lower in the sky... But with the actual lighting of the scene I think it looks better a bit more balanced. With the original version I find it looks almost "grimy" in a way. I have taken the liberty to show a quick idea of how I'd process it. I hope you don't mind! Just one perspective. :)

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks Oshyan. No, I don't mind ;)
Cool, the lighting looks a bit like in the versions before. Now I'm totally confused.
I'll try to take back the redsky decay and see how it looks...

Oshyan

Well, I think the addition of the mist and a *slight* yellow tint is the main improvement (and that remains in the version I posted). It just went too far perhaps?

- Oshyan

Hannes

I'll see. Maybe somewhere in between the recent and the previous version...
Rendering... :)

Dune

I love it. Having said that, I still think the lighting is a bit harsh and 'crumbly'. What would happen if you reposition the sun more towards one side, or otherwise soften the light? And I would edit one of the trees, so it's shadow doesn't fall across the lower fall; it's kind of cut in 2. Maybe that would be different if shadows were lighter. Otherwise it's terrific!

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on March 17, 2018, 02:43:10 AM
I love it. Having said that, I still think the lighting is a bit harsh and 'crumbly'. What would happen if you reposition the sun more towards one side, or otherwise soften the light? And I would edit one of the trees, so it's shadow doesn't fall across the lower fall; it's kind of cut in 2. Maybe that would be different if shadows were lighter. Otherwise it's terrific!

Well, I tried a lot of sun positions, and this one gave me the best results, without too many parts of the scene in shadow, so I guess I'll leave it like that.
The tree shadow you mention is probably no shadow, but a bush growing there. I already had tried to edit some instances, but some of them seem unaccessable for some reason, but I'll get rid of that single bush.

By the way, here is another overnight render with a lower redsky decay. I think, this is OK now. The light might look a bit harsh due to the increased contrast in PW. But without it the scene looked a bit flat.
And I didn't sharpen it.

Dune

This one is softer already. Great!

Hannes

Thanks Ulco! And in the meantime I managed to get rid of the nasty bush in the lower fall.
So I'll render another one overnight, which will be pretty much the same, but without that bush. And then it MIGHT be finished...

Oshyan

Oooo, yeah, now you're getting there. The softer image and lowered redsky decay are definitely giving the right impression of "wet" jungle.

- Oshyan

Hannes

OK, another final one  ;)
Took a bit longer to render, because I used higher GI settings, since this is supposed to be the final one (did I mention that already? ;)

Dune

I admit, you've won  ;D Good luck with your entry, Hannes. Great image!