EXR Deep format

Started by SILENCER, April 11, 2018, 07:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SILENCER

Gadzooks, we're getting great results with TG4 here.
Supes are happy. Clients are giddy.

Compositors would love to have the EXR deep format, especially since we've been doing Vray and Lightwave elements interacting with the Terragen clouds. All that extra data would be a major plus for the Nuke pilots, and of course there's nothing worse than telling the 2D guys "sorry, I can't give you that."

Is that format on the list of enhancements? It'd be a HUGE hit.

Matt

It's on the to-do list, but we probably won't get to it this year, unfortunately.

There are render elements for Cloud Depth and Cloud Position, which might help in some instances, but I know they don't give you the same level of compositing power as a deep image.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

digitalguru

Yes, yes, yes to Deep.

In the meantime, the render elements don't output to 32 bit exr, they are 16 bit regardless of the main settings

32 bit would be a step up, as Nuke can convert a z-depth element to a Deep image, which in some situations works quite well.

SILENCER

Cool, good to know.

Like all experienced compositors, they're adults and they can deal with it. 
Sounds like a great enhancement, however. Since I was asked about it I thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks, Skipper.

digitalguru

I've got a Nuke Gizmo somewhere that can set this up (requires a few nodes otherwise) I'lll post it when I find it.

Matt

Quote from: digitalguru on April 12, 2018, 05:16:32 AM
In the meantime, the render elements don't output to 32 bit exr, they are 16 bit regardless of the main settings

What version are you using? There was a bug fix for this in 4.1.18:

Build 4.1.18 (Release)

32-bit EXR option works correctly for command line render, Sequence Render and Render All to Disk.

digitalguru

This is in 4.1.18.

Primary output works as expected, but most of the Render Elements don't follow the EXR Options - they are always 16 bit.

Checked this in Nuke with the ViewMetaData node, also the file sizes don't change when switching bit depth in the Render node.

This is true for the command line render, Sequence Render and Render All to Disk.

Curiously though, tgRgb, tgAlpha(!) and tgSurfDepth do switch to 32 bit, but they are the only elements that can.

Matt

OK, I've found the bug. It'll be fixed in the next update.

Matt

digitalguru

Great! Looking forward to it.

edlo

Quote from: SILENCER on April 12, 2018, 10:15:17 AM
Cool, good to know.

Like all experienced compositors, they're adults and they can deal with it. 
Sounds like a great enhancement, however. Since I was asked about it I thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks, Skipper.

Compers are crying babies  :P

SILENCER

Compers are crying babies  :P

Heh. The O.G. ones roll like a boss. Keep their pimp hands strong.

The snowflakes from the "vfx schools"...well...you get the idea.

New build of Terragen today with 32 bit exr fixes. Bad ass.
Get those alembic displacement files working and we're off to the races.

digitalguru

QuoteGet those alembic displacement files working and we're off to the races.

Are you using Maya?

SILENCER

Are you using Maya?

No, I leave that to the masochists.

I'm speaking more in terms of getting Speed Tree displacement data into TG.
SpeedTree writes out the old school MDD files that LightWave can read as well. That'll work too, but there's far far more VFX support for Alembic. Whatever works.

digitalguru

QuoteI'm speaking more in terms of getting Speed Tree displacement data into TG.

I see - that sounds just as masochistic  :)