Pyroclastic smoke column

Started by Hannes, October 26, 2018, 05:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Wow Hannes! Serious evolution going on here! Love the scene setup with the twister and the road, it looks fantastic!

Perhaps more subtle road reflections with a more patchy drying look (a smooth perlin like roughness 0.75), it'd probably help cut on visible RT and render time, though not sure.

Hannes

Thanks!!
Next iteration (only 60 frames). More vegetation and I added rain using the same method I had in my "No umbrella" clip:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21058.0.html

I guess, this makes the reflections on the road more appropriate.
Nevertheless I'm not entirely happy with the result. The terrain and the plants except the road look completely dry like a desert. The trees are animated, but it looks more like a gentle breeze, and the rain could be warped a bit, so that it doesn't fall so straight.
Not sure, if I'll keep the rain at all. I'll see, where this leads to...

luvsmuzik

From this POV, if you are not going to do long twisting grasses :P, a simple greenish surface layer PF would do wonders for the desert ....
Better and better and better. :)

Dune

I like it very much already. Keep the rain, I'd say. You could add a dog blown across the road in front as a little extra fun (like you did your toad being squashed).

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on November 09, 2018, 10:02:51 AM
I like it very much already. Keep the rain, I'd say. You could add a dog blown across the road in front as a little extra fun (like you did your toad being squashed).

;D ;D ;D
Thanks!! Oh yes, something like that would be cool! Yes, I like the rain somehow. Trying to improve it.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on November 09, 2018, 10:33:18 AM
Quote from: Dune on November 09, 2018, 10:02:51 AM

;D ;D ;D
Thanks!! Oh yes, something like that would be cool! Yes, I like the rain somehow. Trying to improve it.

What can I say...  Do it! :)
Great changes!

Oshyan

I like the rain too, especially on the road. And it does help with the IMO overly sharp reflection (previously). Looks promising! Not sure why that guy is standing out in the rain though, I'd be in the truck. ;)

- Oshyan

Hannes

Simple answer: he's an Idiot.  ;)

Thanks again.

Hannes

Next step: reworked the rain and made the weather even worse.

On my to do list now: animating the bushes in the foreground as well, they seem like statues. Maybe replacing the idiot by someone or something more suiting.

Dune

Great update! Rain is really good now, especially with the moving wet haze. Perfect. Yeah, bushes need some movement. Maybe one or two can even get dis-rooted and blown away. And yes, the guy needs an umbrella! (which can blow way too)  ;)

Kadri

Looks great Hannes.
A small addition of a farmhouse breaking apart by the tornado maybe?

sboerner

QuoteSimple answer: he's an Idiot.

Believe me, there's nothing unusual about this kind of behavior. I'm surprised he's not driving toward the funnel. (Maybe you could have him holding up an iPhone. Or driving toward the funnel and holding up an iPhone.)

Rational folks are crouched against the west walls of their basements right now.

This is looking truly amazing. The foreground rain and mist give this clip a lot of depth and sophistication. Great work.

archonforest

Ohh I missed this amazing stuff! Absolutely great stuff. 8)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

Oshyan

God damn, this is incredible! All the little touches, the lightning, the movement on the trees (you really nailed that). So cool! Looking forward to whatever you do to finalize it.

- Oshyan