creating a round cliff boundary

Started by leopoldmaz, March 15, 2019, 07:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leopoldmaz

Hi all, I am new to terragen and I am trying to create a flat round plane surrounded by a round cliff boundary. I tried to use disc to define the cliff, but I think this is completely wrong. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Dune

Welcome to the forum. This is very simply set up, so here's a start. The edge width in the simple shape shader defines the steepness of the cliff. With the fractal warp you can easily alter the roundness by the scale and warp amount.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

leopoldmaz

Thank you so much Dune and bobbystahr, it is super helpful. Now i will try to add some colors, snowed mountains and clouds.

leopoldmaz

Alright, TG4 is quite amazing. So I was able to add sun and nice clouds and now I am working on getting grass patches done. But what I cannot wrap my head around is how to add mountains outside of the flat surface. When I add fractal terrain or heightfield it affects the whole surface while I am interested in keeping the circular area flat. Any ideas?
Thanks!

bobbystahr

Look at how  the Default scene is created and use that method.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

leopoldmaz

Yes, I think it worked! I just now start to realize how powerful it is to work directly through the nodes. Btw, it there a way to change a specific mountain or a specific cloud without affecting the rest?

bobbystahr

Quote from: leopoldmaz on March 18, 2019, 08:51:44 PM
Yes, I think it worked! I just now start to realize how powerful it is to work directly through the nodes. Btw, it there a way to change a specific mountain or a specific cloud without affecting the rest?

well you could choose an area and the put a Simple Shape shader of the size of area you want to change and mask out what's there and then using the reverse masking mask in what you want or just use the SS shader to apply changes to the area...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: leopoldmaz on March 18, 2019, 08:51:44 PM
Btw, it there a way to change a specific mountain or a specific cloud without affecting the rest?

Hey Leapold!  For Clouds, there is an easy way to make small (or large) controllable individual clouds by using the "Localise" option within the cloud settings.  The Easy cloud type has Localise on by default, and it can't be turned off for that cloud type because it is render intensive it is best to use one, or smaller patches.  There is also Cloud layer v2, and Cloud layer v3, but as you probably have figured out you won't know which type of cloud you are creating from the "Add Cloud Layer" menu until after it is created and you look in the Node Editor / Network View.  You can also manually create Cloud layers, and all other shaders/nodes from the Network/Node View by right clicking and using the pop-up context menu.  Clouds are under "Create Atmosphere".

When you use the Localize/"Localise" feature you set a radius, so think of it as setting a mask in the shape of a circle that limits how far your cloud will reach out from the origin of the cloud coordinate center.

Hope that helps a little!

-Derek

leopoldmaz

Thank you, this is very helpful all your comments! I think I made quite nice good grass and the scene looks not bad now :)

Dune

There's no image there... better try a different way of inserting your image.

archonforest

I managed to open it. Here it is...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Still nothing, weird.... this is what I see.

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on March 20, 2019, 05:18:13 AM
Still nothing, weird.... this is what I see.
Hmmm.... indead it is weird. When I click on the red text I get an option to save or to open.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Matt

The file is a TIFF but named it with a .jpg extension.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.