Forest floor

Started by Dune, April 06, 2019, 07:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

PT mode, with extra no shadow sun, but at 0.2 strength.

And added, RT mode. Both no post.

Antoine

Very nice !
Did you use exagerate surface details ?

David

Dune

Antoine

The first one is definitely better in the areas where there is vegetation.

David

Matt

I think the extra no-shadow sun is hurting the realism of the shadows.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Maybe it is, and it's not 'pure', but I wanted some more light. I may try increasing exposure, as I find a default PT render pretty dark. It's possible in post too, no doubt. I have also found that some of my renders have been printed very dark (in books), compared to what I see on my monitor, but that may be a printer's error.

Path is not good yet.

Matt

The default exposure and sunlight are tweaked for a more open scene and are not ideal for this kind of dappled sunlight scene. I would treat this like photography and solve it by increasing exposure. That's what you'd have to do with a real camera in this scene, and it's also what your eyes would do naturally if you were standing there. You might overexpose the parts in sunlight, but personally I don't mind that. There may be ways to avoid that. You could lighten up the sky to get more light into the shadows. And maybe brighten up the materials in the scene so that they bounce more light around.

Matt

Maybe also look at the contrast setting on the render node. You could reduce that to 0 for a flatter look.

Upon Infinity

Wouldn't increasing GI give a more natural look (without increasing exposure)?

Dune

Thanks Matt, I'll have another go. GI wouldn't work with Path Trace, as I understand. I did add a cirrus with quite some coverage to get more reflected light.

mhaze

Watching this with interest.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Here's another iteration (70% of rendersize). Exposure now set to 1.3, no extra sun, robust sampling (1/256), and shadows of objects in low cloud checked. I tried the contrast setting, but it became a bit too flat, so I changed it to 0.25 again.
This was actually a test of a Megascan forest floor tiled texture, but as usual, I built it up a bit.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

It is still very dark. Why not go higher on the exposure?