15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Good combination! Seems to work.

Dune

Smart idea, and I have to keep that in mind.

sboerner

Thanks. The purist in me wants to do everything in one go in Terragen, but sometimes it's best to take the path of least resistance.

Appreciate everyone's patience with this slow, incremental project. It's nearly finished, I promise!

Oshyan

I too love the new PoV! There's a fantastic sense of scale and distance, and the different elements of the scene are better separated and highlighted, while remaining cohesive and natural.

As far as the issue with PT and water transparency, that will be fixed in 4.4. So unless you're planning to render and print really soon, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to resolve it through other means. By the time you're ready for final render I reckon 4.4 will probably be out and you'll be able to do it all in one go *and* probably have better results (the path traced transparency and refraction ought to work a bit better than the current effects do).

- Oshyan

sboerner

Hooray! That's terrific news, Oshyan. I was hoping that might be the case but decided not to ask. Don't want to seem too impatient. :D

Thanks for the feedback on the POV. Glad you like it.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on March 11, 2019, 10:18:17 AM
Thanks. The purist in me wants to do everything in one go in Terragen, but sometimes it's best to take the path of least resistance.

Appreciate everyone's patience with this slow, incremental project. It's nearly finished, I promise!

Patience be damned,it's more anticipation of what you'll do next keeps me coming back...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Beginning to populate the scene with a few human figures, starting with the teamster. This was my first complete human model and wow, what a learning experience. The base mesh was easy but adding clothing and rigging were other matters entirely. I tip my hat to all those production riggers whose credits you see at the end of feature films. Not an easy skill to master.

Texture detail is low-level but this model will be a very small detail in the final scene. All in all I'm very happy to be done with this wagon assembly.

Also attaching a workspace view of the base mesh.

bobbystahr

looking really good. Have you ever seen this program?
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/
looks really interesting and if my workstation ever works again I'm getting it for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Fantastic models, Steve! Looking forward to see them in your scene!

sboerner

Thanks Bobby, Hannes.

I've used MakeHuman for some previous non-Terragen projects. It's a lot of fun to play with. My recollection is that it generates a basic rig along with the mesh but you have to do the skinning. That may have changed since I haven't used it for a while.

My plan is to put together a custom assortment of base meshes that can be easily adapted for different body types, etc. Hope it works out because I'm going to need something approaching an army for the next scene . . .

Dune

Good job, Steve. Have you tried DAZ. It's not perfect, but probably good enough for your distant figures. Easy to get some postures, even premade. Textured too.

DocCharly65

sboerner

Thanks Ulco and Doc.

QuoteHave you tried DAZ. It's not perfect, but probably good enough for your distant figures. Easy to get some postures, even premade. Textured too.

I appreciate the suggestion, Ulco. I probably would do that if this were a deadline project or something for a client. I may still do so if I can't make enough figures with the kind of quality that the scene needs. But learning how to model, rig and texture human figures has been a long-term goal of mine. I've never had a need before, so this gives me an excuse.

Here's the lift bridge tender. Same mesh, different outfit. This will probably be it for this fellow in this scene.

bobbystahr

Good shot of the bridge detail, and he looks so sad, must be saying goodbye to someone on the boat.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

Thanks, Bobby. About that expression: He can't help it, it's just his resting bridge face. :)