Distant Ice World

Started by RichTwo, April 16, 2019, 10:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Well.  Another of my otherworldly concepts.  Binary stellar system with a icy planet and a couple of largish others in the sky.  And I finally figured how to simulate what could be a frozen lake.  Rule one: Don't use the water shader.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!

They're all wasted!

Dune

Nice and cold. You probably faked the icy shine by simple shape and color (adjust). The cracks would take the most time with RT reflections/water, but if you could mask those out, it'd be a lot faster. Won't be seen much anyway.

DocCharly65

Very impressive and looking quite cold!

bobbystahr

Brrr, y got the feeling for sure...so how'd t do the ice then?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

@ Ulco - actually the render at the size you see here (1400 X 787) with moderate anti-aliasing (6) took just over an hour.  So I get to keep the cracked surfaces. Yay!

@Bobby - the frozen "lake" is the lake shader with a PF node (could've also used SS I guess), very little displacement, Jordan's (WASasquatch) Cracks and Tension Fractures clip, finally a reflective shader, no ray tracing.

I am slowly learning a few hacks on my own to T4, and saving everything.

And if you'd like to see how it's done, I have posted it (clip file only) to File Sharing.  Go git you some of that.
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Rich2 on April 17, 2019, 11:06:28 AM
@ Ulco - actually the render at the size you see here (1400 X 787) with moderate anti-aliasing (6) took just over an hour.  So I get to keep the cracked surfaces. Yay!

@Bobby - the frozen "lake" is the lake shader with a PF node (could've also used SS I guess), very little displacement, Jordan's (WASasquatch) Cracks and Tension Fractures clip, finally a reflective shader, no ray tracing.

I am slowly learning a few hacks on my own to T4, and saving everything.

And if you'd like to see how it's done, I have posted it (clip file only) to File Sharing.  Go git you some of that.

Cool, thanks for sharing, it's how I'm slowly learning as well...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist