Rocks by using displacement and color maps made with Photoshop.

Started by René, April 23, 2019, 02:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Rocks by using displacement and color maps made with Photoshop.

Dune

Cool again! I've used a blocky gif file a few times for displacement of my blocks. Actually I don't know what would be faster to render/compute; an image file, such as these, or a huge set of blue nodes such as Jon's blocky ones.

Hannes

archonforest

Very nice.
How did u applied these maps in TG to get that result?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

René

Quote from: Dune on April 23, 2019, 03:07:04 AM
Cool again! I've used a blocky gif file a few times for displacement of my blocks. Actually I don't know what would be faster to render/compute; an image file, such as these, or a huge set of blue nodes such as Jon's blocky ones.

An image file is certainly faster! Why? I don't know; maybe because, apart from the displacement, the texture already exists and less rendering is needed. It also requires only one displacement (the gray value of the texture) as opposed to a lot of procedural textures.

René

Quote from: archonforest on April 23, 2019, 03:45:41 AM
Very nice.

The textures are TIFF files loaded as an image map and mapped along side Z or side X. Unfortunately this only works in one direction, and the other direction gets stretched. So the camera has to be in exactly the right place. Important: the image maps must be passed through a transform shader with world space enabled.

archonforest

Quote from: René on April 23, 2019, 04:12:51 AM
Quote from: archonforest on April 23, 2019, 03:45:41 AM
Very nice.

The textures are TIFF files loaded as an image map and mapped along side Z or side X. Unfortunately this only works in one direction, and the other direction gets stretched. So the camera has to be in exactly the right place. Important: the image maps must be passed through a transform shader with world space enabled.

Thank you. Very interesting. Will try it.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mhaze

Dune

I used a Y projection (with my squares.gif) and merged that with a transform shader with 90º rotations, which also works.

René

It didn't occur to me that I could do that with image maps. I'm going to try it. Thanks for the tip!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 23, 2019, 05:12:47 AM
I used a Y projection (with my squares.gif) and merged that with a transform shader with 90º rotations, which also works.

I've done cliff faces like that in the past as well with Y projection
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Very impressive, René! Have to give this a try.

Were the texture files entirely hand-painted in Photoshop? Looks like some filters may have been applied to break up the colors and patterns.

René

The displacement map is initially hand painted. Next I used filters and levels to add extra detail. From the displacement map I extracted the color map on which I applied a number of other operations. From the color map I generated a bump map on which I painted extra cracks and irregularities.
It has been a constant going back and forth between Photoshop and Terragen.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

PcXT

Beautiful !
It's a great technique, i'll give it a try ! Thanx for sharing !