Old Rail

Started by WAS, July 12, 2019, 11:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beep the Meep

love the first one look and feel. it looks a cryengine/unreal engine render

bobbystahr

2nd one makes me wish even more I could afford to upgrade to a path traced version..very nice image.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 16, 2019, 10:23:56 AM
2nd one makes me wish even more I could afford to upgrade to a path traced version..very nice image.

Yeah I wanted to Path Trace. I know path tracing the final scene won't be possible without turning off the glass in the dragon fly wings and just using opacity.

archonforest

Looks great. Love the forest!!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

The PT version is clearly more realistic, but it does lose some of the nice lighting and contrast in the non-PT version. Interesting though not too surprising. PT won't always provide more aesthetically pleasing results, just more realistic. ;) I think in this case once you eliminated the noise in the PT render, you could do some post processing on an EXR to improve the tone range and contrast, and end up with a more realistic and more pleasing image overall. But the scene itself looks great, in general.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on July 16, 2019, 02:14:49 PM
The PT version is clearly more realistic, but it does lose some of the nice lighting and contrast in the non-PT version. Interesting though not too surprising. PT won't always provide more aesthetically pleasing results, just more realistic. ;) I think in this case once you eliminated the noise in the PT render, you could do some post processing on an EXR to improve the tone range and contrast, and end up with a more realistic and more pleasing image overall. But the scene itself looks great, in general.

- Oshyan

Good advice...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: Dune on July 16, 2019, 01:57:52 AM
Here's two versions, one normal render, one PT. I changed only a few minor things (not visible), and added some Deschampsia flexuosa (wavy hair grass), small blue flowers, and ferns. To get the light on the deer I removed some trees.

Oh wow I missed these. They look great. I was thinking this morning that I need ferns. They help make the forests more like home rather than dry like down south.

Thanks a lot for rendering and adding your flare, it looks fantastic. Especially thankful for adding the deer I envisioned.

DocCharly65

In fact very cool and beautiful!

(though I also liked the slightly bluish cold look of the "end of the road" in the original) :)

Dune

I like the PT version more too, it has more mysterious shadows. But indeed lacks a bit of finer contrast. I switched off the dragonflies, as I noticed their black wings in a crop.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on July 17, 2019, 01:23:47 AM
I like the PT version more too, it has more mysterious shadows. But indeed lacks a bit of finer contrast. I switched off the dragonflies, as I noticed their black wings in a crop.

Same here. Some of those subtleties can be brought out in post. After-all, we don't have exposure times in TG.

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 17, 2019, 01:18:12 AM
In fact very cool and beautiful!

(though I also liked the slightly bluish cold look of the "end of the road" in the original) :)

I imagine that effect was created by me disabling all clouds for a test render besides the haze, so there was a lot more ambient light from the blue sky.

WAS

Here is an adjustment to Ulco's PT render, as well as a exposure adjusted version rendered by Danny from NWDA. The version from Danny is as the project was when I shipped it off to Ulco, so a good comparison.

archonforest

I just love the adjusted version!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on July 17, 2019, 02:12:08 PM
I just love the adjusted version!

Thank you. Love the additional plants and the deer Ulco dropped in.

One day I'll have access to a real copy of TG again and be able to cram in pops and pump out more images.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 17, 2019, 01:11:44 PM
Quote from: Dune on July 17, 2019, 01:23:47 AM

Same here. Some of those subtleties can be brought out in post. After-all, we don't have exposure times in TG.

have you not noticed it in the Camera tab  or the slider on the left of the preview window. It's in amounts and not time but is workable
and it's not a post effect.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 17, 2019, 06:02:42 PM
have you not noticed it in the Camera tab  or the slider on the left of the preview window. It's in amounts and not time but is workable
and it's not a post effect.

I've never had luck with that over a cameras exposure. Shadows seem to lift in uniformity with lights. Granted shadows will get brighter the longer you exposed but it seems to be almost like a gamma lift, which is available in the tonemap as well.

If I did a normal exposure for a few seconds, or even in PS, it effects more high contrast lighting than shadows (while it does effect them but not to a uniform extent)