New World Digital Art 'Shop' Closes it's Doors

Started by DannyG, July 31, 2019, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 06, 2019, 01:45:53 AMI don't know if Paypal works for small amounts. If there's no cost involved in say a payment of $10, it could work.
I really don't know what I all had at NWDA, but what I can find I could put up here somewhere. Others may do that too, and then it needs a pm/email request, a payment and then an email to send the file off. It won't be a full job, so I'll consider this.
In the US at least, PayPals minimum payment is $1.00 USD.

Oshyan

Former NWDA members who still want to make their content available for sale could also consider other platforms like TurboSquid, CGTrader, etc.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 06, 2019, 02:39:29 PMFormer NWDA members who still want to make their content available for sale could also consider other platforms like TurboSquid, CGTrader, etc.

- Oshyan

This is a good point, and I'll add Terragen content is sorely lacking from third party distributors now that NWDA's store has closed it's doors.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Oshyan on August 06, 2019, 02:39:29 PMFormer NWDA members who still want to make their content available for sale could also consider other platforms like TurboSquid, CGTrader, etc.

- Oshyan
I always thought that it's a pity that TG content is missing on these platforms!

Besides "RIP NWDA Store!" :'(

DannyG

- Oshyan

Former NWDA members? I wasn't aware anyone left, we are still together under the NWDA umbrella and will be here to support the community per the announcement. Not sure where this information came from.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

I guess I misspoke Danny, but for my part at least I will say it's a bit confusing since the galleries on NWDA are seldom updated and the store is now gone. What, then, is NWDA? An "art collective" I guess. Which is fine. 

I of course meant "those members of NWDA who would still like to sell their assets..." etc.

- Oshyan

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

@DannyG I'm always searching for stuff related to Terragen, Modo, Blender and other apps on Gumroad and Cubebrush.  I like those selling sites because you always have access to your past purchases, and the creators can easily push out updates.  Hint hint.  ;)  I also use Turbosquid.  

-Derek

otakar

Paypal/Venmo would be a good payment choice. If no credit card is involved it's fee free (at least on a US$ basis, not sure about currency exchange). Then it's up to the content owner to handle the advertising, communication and product delivery. It would be great if at least some of the store content can be made available that way. I have never regretted any purchase at NWDA, the quality was there and the support for free content was certainly much appreciated as well.

WAS

Ultimately, I don't believe Danny/NWDA has the right to move any content to another distributor with different share rights or terms of service without explicit permission from each author.

Unless right to redistribute through third party dsitributors was negotiated in some fashion, like TOS/User Agreement. I don't remember this though.

And so far it seems some authors don't really care (besides Ulco), or aren't aware as there's no word from them here.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Why don't all the creators that had content on NWDA get together and decide where the best place to sell/host their content would be?  Sounds like the main reason Danny decided to end the store was because of time invested in the site wasn't paying off in terms of sales.  Hosting a web site these days with your own store is a lot of work.

I would love to see each individual creator host and sell their content on Gumroad, and/or Cubebrush.  Gumroad has been around longer and there is more on there, but Cubebrush has better organization for users who have purchased lots of content because it has a Groups/Category function which allows users to sort and group their similar purchases.

Some content creators sell the same packages of content on both sites, which makes sense to me.  Once a creator uploads and starts selling their content there is little overhead/maintenance to do.

CubeBrush and Gumroad can be found here. Turbosquid is good for models, but I have heard they take too big of a cut on sales.

Just my 2-cents

-Derek

Dune

I'll check out what I have on NWDA (if I can still find it) and check out these vendor sites in due time. If it's not too much hassle, I'll consider putting up some stuff there. Though I hardly believe it's worth the trouble, as NWDA isn't going so slow with no reason.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 22, 2019, 01:47:58 AMThough I hardly believe it's worth the trouble, as NWDA isn't going so slow with no reason.

Unfortunately.

I hope that changes.

masonspappy

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on August 21, 2019, 03:55:47 PM.... Turbosquid is good for models, but I have heard they take too big of a cut on sales.
At Turbosquid, the modeler gets a higher percentage if sales of a particular model are restricted to just Turbosquid site (thru SquidGuild Program) . And CG models can fetch better prices if the modeler is willing to go through the certification process. That process is admittedly lengthy and painstaking, there's a huge learning curve, trying to qualify an existing model likely will incur lots of re-work,  and I've never had a model pass certification upon the first review.  But I still think it's worth the extra effort.

WAS

Quote from: masonspappy on August 22, 2019, 09:06:22 PM
Quote from: D.A. Bentley on August 21, 2019, 03:55:47 PM.... Turbosquid is good for models, but I have heard they take too big of a cut on sales.
At Turbosquid, the modeler gets a higher percentage if sales of a particular model are restricted to just Turbosquid site (thru SquidGuild Program) . And CG models can fetch better prices if the modeler is willing to go through the certification process. That process is admittedly lengthy and painstaking, there's a huge learning curve, trying to qualify an existing model likely will incur lots of re-work,  and I've never had a model pass certification upon the first review.  But I still think it's worth the extra effort.

Considering how bad their free, and even paid models are (packaging, quality, bad normals, missing textures), that's a laughable process. I've bought a $32 dollar model, a single flipping model, for it to have missing textures, and flipped normals. I try to comment on it and get support, cause I paid for it, and it gets removed. Great QC. Oh, and not my comment, the entire model was removed by the author.

Which brings to light another concern with all these store fronts and author control. If you may a digital product, it should always be available. I can't count how many times I've gone back to fetch purchases, or even free products, over the last decade, for them to be removed from stores for no reason. There is no fab cost, limited fab, or any variables that drive these variables in the physical market, so it really just comes down to bad management when stuff disappears. It's annoying. Why I've been trying to learn modeling to do myself. All the macro stuff with blender and stuff give me a headache.

masonspappy

Quote from: WAS on August 22, 2019, 09:21:21 PM
 ....that's a laughable process...

Which brings to light another concern with all these store fronts and author control. If you may a digital product, it should always be available. I can't count how many times I've gone back to fetch purchases, or even free products, over the last decade, for them to be removed from stores for no reason. There is no fab cost, limited fab, or any variables that drive these variables in the physical market, so it really just comes down to bad management when stuff disappears. It's annoying. Why I've been trying to learn modeling to do myself. All the macro stuff with blender and stuff give me a headache.
Quote from: WAS on August 22, 2019, 09:21:21 PM

Considering how bad their free, and even paid models are (packaging, quality, bad normals, missing textures), that's a laughable process. I

Just to clarify, if you are referring to the TurboSquid Pro Certification I mentioned earlier, then I will respectfully but vehemently disagree with you, and would suggest following this link to better understand all the requirements necessary for Pro Certification:
  https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-modeling/checkmate/checkmate-specifications/checkmate-pro-specification/

The free models are, unfortunately, a crap shoot. My experience with them has been every bit as bad as yours appear to have been.  And the paid models are of uneven quality  - some good, some not. 

Re: Blender - I'm frantically trying to transfer my Blender 2.79B skills over to the new 2.80 release that came out last week.  There's some new stuff in there, but for the parts of Blender I use most  it seems to me that most of what they did was rearrange everything, which is a huge PITA.  And a nasty headache.