Old Rock

Started by RichTwo, September 07, 2019, 05:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

With no planets, generic atmo, this took little over an hour in rendering.  That's versus the 30 odd minutes I was getting from Oshyan's set up.  But the only thing I used in this was the render nodes and I threw in some clips, basically starting anew.  So I know how to proceed now.  An hour isn't bad, but 30 minutes  is better.
They're all wasted!

Dune

Nice again. But beware of throwing in clips! I've seen clips containing 100+ nodes for something that can be done in less than 10, thus reducing rendertime by 60%.

RichTwo

Point well taken, Ulco - some lessons are learned none too easily...

This one came out in about 40 minutes.  I sure did have to unplug and replug many nodes here and there but I think I have reached my personal benchmark in render times.

The planet has displacements, the atmo is denser, extra cloud layer.  It adds up and is more than I expected.  Really, I thought a 2 hour render was normal, for me anyway.

Not so much for critiques, but for observation.  Less is often more it seems.

OUCH!!! Did NOT mean to upload that heavy of an image!  I'll need to look into that.
They're all wasted!

Tangled-Universe

That looks really great Rich!
Which clip file did you use for the rocks?
My fingers are really itching to give this scene a try myself, would that be possible?

Cheers,
Martin

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 12, 2019, 08:03:13 AMThat looks really great Rich!
Which clip file did you use for the rocks?
My fingers are really itching to give this scene a try myself, would that be possible?

Cheers,
Martin
echo Martin's request.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

To Martin and Bobby: you may find the .tgd here -  https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22035.0.html

Mick has done something pretty amazing, though it is heavily reliant on the Twist and Shear node (of which I am not too fond of using).  I think I scaled back the setting so the formations would not "lean" too much.  Amongst other things as well.
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

Quote from: RichTwo on September 18, 2019, 04:23:36 PMTo Martin and Bobby: you may find the .tgd here -  https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22035.0.html

Mick has done something pretty amazing, though it is heavily reliant on the Twist and Shear node (of which I am not too fond of using).  I think I scaled back the setting so the formations would not "lean" too much.  Amongst other things as well.
thanks
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: RichTwo on September 18, 2019, 04:23:36 PMTo Martin and Bobby: you may find the .tgd here -  https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22035.0.html

Thanks a lot Rich!
I will have a go at some of the ideas your render gave me, so thanks for the inspiration.
Should I manage to get something decent out of it then I will supply the .tgd of that as well.

Martin

CredePendrel

Yes! Thanks for the link. I really liked the look of your first render. Very cool potential for a wasteland/desert scene. After dorianvan's post about his Egypt project it has me itchy to do something like that.