FEATURE REQUESTS

Started by rolland1013, October 03, 2018, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on September 23, 2019, 09:35:48 PMI would like to have the ability to render an animation sequence and have the resulting frames be saved at the size that was specified by the crop frame instead of including the empty black space. 
You can already do this from the command line. Reference docs are in the /Docs directory of your Terragen install and can also be found in the Wiki: http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Command_Line_Reference

What you want is -cropoutput

- Oshyan

René

I make and store a lot of test renders, with the result that my folders get full of Tif files with crop renders. That takes up a lot of space so I cut off the black part and save it as a jpg. It would be great if there was an option to save only the rendered part (not the black part) as a jpg. It would save me a lot of time.

bobbystahr

Quote from: René on September 24, 2019, 04:23:34 AMI make and store a lot of test renders, with the result that my folders get full of Tif files with crop renders. That takes up a lot of space so I cut off the black part and save it as a jpg. It would be great if there was an option to save only the rendered part (not the black part) as a jpg. It would save me a lot of time.
I echo this request and thanks to René for posting it!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

Quote from: René on September 24, 2019, 04:23:34 AMI make and store a lot of test renders, with the result that my folders get full of Tif files with crop renders. That takes up a lot of space so I cut off the black part and save it as a jpg. It would be great if there was an option to save only the rendered part (not the black part) as a jpg. It would save me a lot of time.

I'm echoing what Oshyan just said, that Terragen will do this if you run it with "-cropoutput" somewhere in the command line (without the quotes). But what's rarely mentioned is that this works with the GUI too. On Windows you can set this up with a custom shortcut. Create a shortcut to Terragen with -cropoutput in the command line arguments, and then every cropped render you do will exclude the black border.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: Matt on September 24, 2019, 02:38:44 PM

I'm echoing what Oshyan just said, that Terragen will do this if you run it with "-cropoutput" somewhere in the command line (without the quotes). But what's rarely mentioned is that this works with the GUI too. On Windows you can set this up with a custom shortcut. Create a shortcut to Terragen with -cropoutput in the command line arguments, and then every cropped render you do will exclude the black border.
Awesome!  This is Fantastic!  Thanks Matt & Oshyan!  :)  -Derek

Tangled-Universe

JPEG output support would be highly appreciated though :)

Hannes

And I'd like to see TG supporting normal maps!!!

cyphyr

I echo JPG support. Not just useful for sharing work on social media and forums. Also helpful for collaborating on projects.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

So do I. And automatic 32-bit .exr (or choice) saving instead of the bmp's. And automatic depth pass saving instead of alpha (or choice).

René

Quote from: Matt on September 24, 2019, 02:38:44 PMI'm echoing what Oshyan just said, that Terragen will do this if you run it with "-cropoutput" somewhere in the command line (without the quotes). But what's rarely mentioned is that this works with the GUI too. On Windows you can set this up with a custom shortcut. Create a shortcut to Terragen with -cropoutput in the command line arguments, and then every cropped render you do will exclude the black border.
Thanks for the explanation. I am on a Mac; Mac users are in my experience less computer savvy than Windows users, moreover, I have zero experience with comand lines. I took a look at the wiki and it looks rather daunting to me. Moreover, I am lazy and expect the computer to do the work for me. ;) So it looks like I have to dive into it after all.

digitalguru

+ 1 for JPEG support

also, it would be nice if there was an option to turn off the extra alpha image in the temp output

Matt

Quote from: Dune on September 26, 2019, 06:15:54 AMSo do I. And automatic 32-bit .exr (or choice) saving instead of the bmp's. And automatic depth pass saving instead of alpha (or choice).

This is in Preferences > File Saving > Render save format.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

That's already there! Never noticed. Thanks Matt!

sjefen

Quote from: Hannes on September 26, 2019, 03:15:10 AMAnd I'd like to see TG supporting normal maps!!!

Yes! This would be really great  ;D

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on September 26, 2019, 03:15:10 AMAnd I'd like to see TG supporting normal maps!!!
Quote from: sjefen on September 27, 2019, 03:55:18 AM

Yes! This would be really great  ;D

- Terje

In the meantime, you can use a DirectX (Or OpenGL) driven PBR Material generator (like Materialize: http://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/getkey.php) to convert a Normal Map into Displacement. From what I can see, it reads the Normal Map as displacement, and converts to heightmap displacement, with tunable settings on interpretation.

Programs like CrazyBump do not interpet the Normal Map as displacement, and instead grayscale and edit the normal map itself, creating very inaccurate results.

You can see my exaggerated examples on the Facebook TG community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/permalink/2362937713832238/