15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Second generation of human base models is ready to go. Ended up scrapping the original models and starting from scratch after getting a little more experience rigging and skinning. Still not 100 percent there but decent enough for the small role they will play in this scene. Next batch will be better. Example here shown closeup and in context near print size. More to come.

The 4.4.40 renderer rocks by the way.

Oshyan

Dune

That looks really good, Steve. These people tell a story. And all the detail.... great!

DocCharly65

That's so beautiful and so nice with all the details and with the people! Great work!

bobbystahr

Very cool and from your last comment you're going to add a pilot to the  wheel house ?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

sboerner

QuoteVery cool and from your last comment you're going to add a pilot to the  wheel house ?

Great eye, Bobby. Guess I'll have to now! ;) 

QuoteThese people tell a story. And all the detail.... great!

Ulco, if my memory serves you originally suggested adding people to the scene. And you were right, of course. During this period many of the canal boats were family owned and operated. The boats were their livelihood and homes. A few human figures can tell that part of the story . . . no other way to do it.

Very anxious to finish this. Beginning to glimpse a flickering light at the end of the tunnel . . .

sboerner

DocCharly65

Hannes

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Two more test renderings of people groups to be placed. Between these and a few others I haven't posted there are about a dozen human figures included now – enough for this scene. Not bothering with eyelashes or other tiny details since they won't show once the models are in place.

I try to be mindful of poly counts but it seems that no matter how many millions of polys you add to a scene, the Terragen renderer just takes them in stride.

The preview window is (understandably) another story. Bounding box mode is required to do any kind of camera navigation and it's often necessary to hide all the objects entirely. RTP is used for object previews – it's more efficient than the standard view and a huge timesaver. Looking forward to trying the improvements in 4.4.44.

mhaze

DocCharly65

As you said the people will look good enough from the distance - but somehow I even like this look of carved wooden dolls... perhaps one day you can implement this style intentionally in another project :) ?
And a great Oldtimer again! :)

Dune

These look great again. You managed to give them a really old-fashioned look. What I often do is apply a 'wrinkled cloth' tiled bumpmap texture over some clothing parts, subtle and by UV. It is not exactly where it should be, but takes off the smoothness for medium distance.
Just plug the image map shader with displacement (perhaps through a transform shader to resize (not world)) into the input of the appropriate default shader. Something like this (which would need some work).

But from a distance you maybe wouldn't see it.