through the surface

Started by gasbutan, November 18, 2019, 04:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

As Dune says, you also need to set the Water Shader's "decay distance" to a negative number (e.g. -1) to disable the effect, otherwise the refracted sky will become black.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

gasbutan

gasbutan

Just one question:
What does it mean "non displaceable card"?
Isn't it possible to create waves on the surface with the card object?

Dune

That was just what I was going to remark; a non-displacable object doesn't do waves, so you just have to use a plane or sphere. I did notice that if you lower transparency, reflections are better, but you don't really want that loss of transparency. Also, when increasing reflection color, reflection is intensified, but may get too light.

gasbutan

Thx for clarification.
This means the card will produce a sharp line between reflection and transparency, which will not look very natural.
It should look more like this:
https://photos.com/featured/underwater-view-of-tropical-sea-kim-westerskov.html

Dune

Yes, that was something I've been trying to achieve yesterday too. I hope we'll find something that works.

Matt

The Card is not displaceable but displacement shaders will perturb the surface normal (bump mapping) so you can still get the appearance of waves.

It's UV mapped, so this changes the texture coordinates. If you want your shaders to work the same as they do on the Plane, use a shader to convert to world space texture coordinates. Use a Transform Input Shader after your shaders or a Tex Coords From XYZ before your shaders.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

gasbutan

Much better now.
Thank you, Matt!

test023a.jpg

gasbutan

one more test render:

test021h.jpg

Dune

Cool. Glad it works. Never thought that bump would be enough on a card. Reflections look much more defined than with a plane or sphere anyway. I wonder why that is, though.

gasbutan

and now combined with some (fake) caustics:

test021i.jpg

Dune

Great job. Can you explain how you did the caustics? Would it be possible to get light shafts through this fake caustics?

gasbutan

Thank you.
Caustics are made by a second card object slightly above the water surface. The opacity of the card is linked to an imagemap. 
"Visible to camera" and "visible to other rays" should be deactivated, "cast shadows" has to be activated.
I don't know if light shafts are possible in this configuration, I have to try.

Dune

Thank you. The thing with opacity is that it's either black or white, no greys. I used a 2D cloud layer.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 25, 2019, 07:41:18 AMThank you. The thing with opacity is that it's either black or white, no greys. I used a 2D cloud layer.

It can have half tones like I argued with Matt having the same issue and my PF caustics and image maps, and fire. It's just very sensitive. Values need to be well above 0.5 where TG makes things straight transparent, so you gotta visualize this higher contrast in your image editor of PFs .