Underwater again

Started by gasbutan, November 27, 2019, 04:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasbutan

Quote from: Dune on December 06, 2019, 01:49:38 AMI would still be interested why that happens, though, glass shader causing more grain.
Could it be "specular roughness", which is set to 0.01 by default ?

Dune

I don't think so, but you could try a crop with a zero. Btw. did you use pathtrace or standard renderer?

gasbutan

Quote from: Dune on December 06, 2019, 02:32:24 AMI don't think so, but you could try a crop with a zero. Btw. did you use pathtrace or standard renderer?
Standard render

gasbutan

... and now: the fisheye lens  ;D

tg4_005c.jpg

Dune

QuinlanG

Really like the fisheye view, splendid image.

Quinlan

j meyer

Very nice images. 8)
Keep experimenting.

gasbutan

Quote from: Dune on December 06, 2019, 02:32:24 AMI don't think so, but you could try a crop with a zero. Btw. did you use pathtrace or standard renderer?
You're right, setting specular roughness to zero doesn't help.

gasbutan

Quote from: WAS on December 05, 2019, 06:39:32 PM
Quote from: gasbutan on December 05, 2019, 05:37:31 PMhere are the crops:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Have you tried slowly playing with the Voxel scattering quality? The default 100 may be too low. I use 150-200

I tried with voxel scattering quality 160, no difference...

Ariel DK

You should try 400 or 500, sounds crazy but worked for me.
I believe that your problem is due that your cloud layer in the sky is visible through your "underwater" cloud layer.
I'm just guessing but, one never know... try a crop for yourself ;)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Oshyan

Mm, yes I forgot exactly how this setup was working. So if you're looking at the whole scene through a very thin cloud layer you'll need higher quality for that layer and/or higher voxel scatter quality. But note that voxel scatter quality "mostly" affects noise levels in areas of, er, scattered light, so it *may* not be what's needed here. I'd increase cloud Ray Marching Quality to 2, and try Voxel Scatter at 400. It's definitely not a crazy value, in fact we raised the default to 100 a little while ago, and I'm tempted to raise it again...

- Oshyan

cyphyr

missed this, wow, great work!
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

gasbutan

Quote from: Oshyan on December 07, 2019, 06:13:33 PMMm, yes I forgot exactly how this setup was working. So if you're looking at the whole scene through a very thin cloud layer you'll need higher quality for that layer and/or higher voxel scatter quality. But note that voxel scatter quality "mostly" affects noise levels in areas of, er, scattered light, so it *may* not be what's needed here. I'd increase cloud Ray Marching Quality to 2, and try Voxel Scatter at 400. It's definitely not a crazy value, in fact we raised the default to 100 a little while ago, and I'm tempted to raise it again...

- Oshyan
Thank you, Oshyan.
I tried with voxel scatter 500 and ray marching quality 2 .... much better now !

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 07, 2019, 06:13:33 PMMm, yes I forgot exactly how this setup was working. So if you're looking at the whole scene through a very thin cloud layer you'll need higher quality for that layer and/or higher voxel scatter quality. But note that voxel scatter quality "mostly" affects noise levels in areas of, er, scattered light, so it *may* not be what's needed here. I'd increase cloud Ray Marching Quality to 2, and try Voxel Scatter at 400. It's definitely not a crazy value, in fact we raised the default to 100 a little while ago, and I'm tempted to raise it again...

- Oshyan

My default project is at 150 and unless I'm doing bizarre stuff like warping the sky with my own ocean, or doing heavy haze both clouds and sky are noiseless. I noticed "slight" grain when default 100 was exported to even 100% quality jpeg or PNG, besides the normal bit banding.

Ariel DK

Quote from: gasbutan on November 30, 2019, 01:13:29 PMHere is a clip file for the water.
An imagefile for the caustics can easily be found in the web.

Have fun experimenting. ;D

water_with_caustics.tgc

I can't see anything, and there is 3 unknown parameters in the cards setup nodes.
this is probably because you are working in V4.44, and im still in 4.3 :( it seem like i gonna missing this one for now...
thanks anyway.
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?