Underwater again

Started by gasbutan, November 27, 2019, 04:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Very, very impressing result!

Can it be that this fish has more polygons than others from older renders? Somehow it looks better.

gasbutan

Quote from: Dune on December 04, 2019, 01:58:10 AMThe underwater murk/cloud has no grain, just the sky. Have you tried (a crop) with a RDM at 1? Any difference then? Maybe the cloud and atmo settings just need higher values?
How did you do the underwater cloud anyway? I just increased density, not edge sharpness, and used no density fractal as input, and no taper top and base.
RDM is already set to 1.
The underwater cloud has a density of 0.05 and also no density fractal.
Taper top and base are ON, but both values set to 0.
Cloud quality is 0.55.
Number of samples of the Atmosphere is 16.

gasbutan

Quote from: DocCharly65 on December 04, 2019, 02:00:07 AMVery, very impressing result!

Can it be that this fish has more polygons than others from older renders? Somehow it looks better.
Thank you!

The number of polygons of the fish is more or less the same, but you're right. The last one looks much better.

QuinlanG

stunning image, it's always nice to see boundaries pushed as to what can be done

Quinlan

Dune

Your values sound okay, but there's no grain underwater, just in the blue sky. Quality of 16 should do (if not for the glass shader), but what if you raise that to 32 (or even higher)? So I still think glass somehow increases grain.

gasbutan

Quote from: QuinlanG on December 04, 2019, 10:04:44 PMstunning image, it's always nice to see boundaries pushed as to what can be done

Quinlan
thx !
I think we are still far away from reaching the boundaries in TG  ;D

Hannes

gasbutan

... a minimalist variant that shows the water effects particularly well:

tg4_005a.jpg

mhaze

WAS

Quote from: gasbutan on December 05, 2019, 10:07:36 AM... a minimalist variant that shows the water effects particularly well:

tg4_005a.jpg

Looks pretty good. Caustics are entirely too small and don't match surface though. When they reflect on such large smooth shapes on the water surface it kinda looks wrong to me. Just my opinion though.

gasbutan

Quote from: WAS on December 05, 2019, 03:05:36 PM
Quote from: gasbutan on December 05, 2019, 10:07:36 AM... a minimalist variant that shows the water effects particularly well:

tg4_005a.jpg

Looks pretty good. Caustics are entirely too small and don't match surface though. When they reflect on such large smooth shapes on the water surface it kinda looks wrong to me. Just my opinion though.

thx for your comment.
This was one the reference photos I used:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-underwater-artistic-view-of-mediterranean-shallow-waters-tilted-view-176298203.html

The relatively small custic pattern comes from the wide angle lens (which I also used in the render).
And there no visible connection between the waves and the pattern.

gasbutan

Quote from: Dune on December 05, 2019, 02:03:00 AMYour values sound okay, but there's no grain underwater, just in the blue sky. Quality of 16 should do (if not for the glass shader), but what if you raise that to 32 (or even higher)? So I still think glass somehow increases grain.
I think you're right.
I did a test render without the surface card and without the glass shader:  less grain.

gasbutan

WAS

Quote from: gasbutan on December 05, 2019, 05:37:31 PMhere are the crops:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Have you tried slowly playing with the Voxel scattering quality? The default 100 may be too low. I use 150-200

Dune

I would still be interested why that happens, though, glass shader causing more grain.