Classic Erosion plugin

Started by Daniil, November 03, 2017, 05:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

That documentation is very informative, thank you for the update too Daniil.

WAS

I hope I see more of this plugin used in TG. It's amazing. Always love playing with it.

Would love to see a snow feature maybe someday in the future to easily add built up soft areas.

Daniil

Hello,

just wanted to show how you can use thermal erosion for getting lava flows. The overall idea is to use thermal erosion simulation to move sediment down the volcano slope, like lava.

1. Let we have our volcano.
volcano.jpg
To not destroy our volcano we should add some "material" to the scene and apply thermal stress to it.

2. We can use Simple Shape Shader as our "material emitter", using its displacement to add some material, and also using its color output as a mask for thermal erosion, to prevent destroying of all volcano.
lava_emitter.jpg

3. Next we add Classic Erosion node, set "Fluvial erosion strength" to 0, enable strong thermal erosion (set its strength to 10 or 15), and mask it by our lava emitter.
(volcano_with_lava.jpg) Excuse me for simple non-realistic smoke, it's just a very quickly added cloud.

volcano_with_lava.jpg

I've also attached .tgd for this scene. Use "Displacement amplitude" of "Lava emitter" node to control the amount of lava in the scene, and "Duration" of "Lava" node to control lava flow length.

Daniil

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on April 18, 2020, 02:56:44 PMHello,

just wanted to show how you can use thermal erosion for getting lava flows. The overall idea is to use thermal erosion simulation to move sediment down the volcano slope, like lava.

1. Let we have our volcano.
volcano.jpg
To not destroy our volcano we should add some "material" to the scene and apply thermal stress to it.

2. We can use Simple Shape Shader as our "material emitter", using its displacement to add some material, and also using its color output as a mask for thermal erosion, to prevent destroying of all volcano.
lava_emitter.jpg

3. Next we add Classic Erosion node, set "Fluvial erosion strength" to 0, enable strong thermal erosion (set its strength to 10 or 15), and mask it by our lava emitter.
(volcano_with_lava.jpg) Excuse me for simple non-realistic smoke, it's just a very quickly added cloud.

volcano_with_lava.jpg

I've also attached .tgd for this scene. Use "Displacement amplitude" of "Lava emitter" node to control the amount of lava in the scene, and "Duration" of "Lava" node to control lava flow length.

Daniil

That's clever, very cool Daniil! Thanks for sharing.

Dune

Great little lesson, Daniil! Thanks for sharing.

Hannes

j meyer

WAS

Hey @blinkfrog  I seem to be having a issue with the Rivers mode where part of the flows map just isn't available compared to what's visibly cut-out in the terrain. Here is the flows map just stuck right on a surface layer. Notice the flows continue down the slope, but the flows map doesn't.

This is under TG 4.4.60

Edit: I haven't checked as my systems tied up but it occurred to me that this may be related to negative displacement. Where the flows cut off seems to be right around where "0" is in the altitude of the planet. This might be a bug.

Daniil

Quote from: WAS on April 20, 2020, 02:54:47 PMHey @blinkfrog  I seem to be having a issue with the Rivers mode where part of the flows map just isn't available compared to what's visibly cut-out in the terrain. Here is the flows map just stuck right on a surface layer. Notice the flows continue down the slope, but the flows map doesn't.
This is under TG 4.4.60
Edit: I haven't checked as my systems tied up but it occurred to me that this may be related to negative displacement. Where the flows cut off seems to be right around where "0" is in the altitude of the planet. This might be a bug.
Thank you for the report. Could you please share the .tgd with this problem? You can send it to support@daniilkamperov.com

WAS

I forgot to save the project cause I was having such issues, but going and recreating it (with negative displacement and all) I can't reproduce it, so it may have been a bug, which may have been the maps. Cause when I switched to River Mode I did noticed the maps didn't change to river maps even after rendering. I forgot to mention that.

Daniil

Now when Terragen 4.5.x Frontier builds are available, I want to make an announcement.

! ! !  I M P O R T A N T  ! ! !

Classic Erosion versions up to 1.1.4.1 are not compatible with Terragen 4.5 and higher.

You need to install Classic Erosion v1.1.5 which is compatible with Terragen 4.5 and higher.

For Terragen 4.4.x and older you have to use 1.1.4.1 as before.

Daniil

icarus51

Hi Daniil.

The Classic Erosion plugin has been installed and works on TG 4.5.38 but the other two you have done? Do you foresee updates for these?

Thanks in advance

icarus51

Message deleted.

Daniil

Quote from: icarus51 on July 03, 2020, 02:46:27 AMHi Daniil.

The Classic Erosion plugin has been installed and works on TG 4.5.38 but the other two you have done? Do you foresee updates for these?

Thanks in advance
There is the new updated version of Procedural Erosion in corresponding topic. That's all, I haven't publicly released any other plugins. Probably you mean dkerosion? This is just the older version of Procedural Erosion.

Daniil

mhaze

It's not working for me! I get the message. The procedure entry point?Spawn@trShader@MEAAJAEAVtrRenderState@@@Z could not be located in the dynamiclink library C:\ProgramFiles\Planetside Software\Terragen 4\ dkproceduralerosion.tgp