A stream

Started by Hannes, July 16, 2020, 04:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I mixed some ocean surface I already used before with some stuff of this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28028.0.html
and created some sort of stream. Still a simulation of a fluid simulation, but trying to get closer...

amandas

Wow, looks like a lot of work there with layering different noises and constraints. Looks really good! Curious about the technique.
Artist / Developer
open for freelance / full project cycle
http://arturmandas.com

Dune

Cool, Hannes. Reminds me of this: river test
I like the shore foam!

Hannes

Dune

You should try some warp by the obstacles (or standing waves) in the water. It should be possible to get the foam to kind of 'go around' the obstacles. I've done some experiments in that realm.... once.

Hannes

Hmm, not sure how to do that. Maybe some warping masked by a simple shape shader?

Hetzen

Not a bad sim considering there's no fluid dynamics involved. Looks quite convincing. 8)

Dune

If you take your displacement from rocks in the water or at shoreline, and make a greyscale, it should work. Though I didn't use real fake stones but perlin or something in water (for standing waves) to get smoother masks. But that mask should be able to warp the foam.

Hannes

Cool, thanks! I don't know, when I will be able to try that. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll give it a try.

j meyer

8) Promising progress.

sboerner

Quotereal fake stones
:) :) :)

Gotta love it.

WAS

Great work here. This is very convincing, actually, and I date say could be used in distant shots in production. The far shore water displacement looks like rapids breaking on the water. Maybe a tad too much displacement ferocity as you can notice a couple spots the water pops up above some rocks, but for the most part it looks very realistic.

Hannes

Thanks again, guys!

DocCharly65

Great work Hannes. I absolutely agree with WAS about the usage for distant shots in production.

james adamson

Thats awesome! Is that all done in Terragen?