Arrival

Started by RichTwo, January 11, 2021, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

A visitor from another part of our galaxy has arrived.  It will only be here for a few minutes then depart, having gathered materials deep below the Earth's crust for its energy generator.  We humans will never have known it was here.

The "ship" is an elongated sphere object displaced with a simple black and white image of horizontal bars.  I don't know how the patterns on the skin came to be. I shopped the beam in post render.
They're all wasted!

WAS

Awesome! I love it! This is the sort of inspiration that brought me to my Derelict scenes.

Dune

Great! Interesting pattern indeed.

DocCharly65

In fact cool pattern :)

Great scene and nice landscape!

N-drju

Not a creative comment - good work on the pattern! :D Well, pretty much all the rest too.

I think it shouldn't be too hard to use Blender and create an actual displacement like this. The object would become heavier in size though.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

RichTwo

Thanks all!  The pattern came about unintended. I thought maybe it'd be like pinstripes. I tried the same with a poly-sphere and got a totally different result.

I'll post a clip of the sphere object and displacement image in File Sharing.  Maybe someone can figure it out.
They're all wasted!

Tangled-Universe

That's really cool :)
How does it look when you use rule of thirds paradigm for composition? Like having the ship at 1/3rd to the left or right instead of dead center?
Also with a slightly wider field of view this would make a much more balanced composition and more powerful image, I think.

RichTwo

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 13, 2021, 06:50:30 PMThat's really cool :)
How does it look when you use rule of thirds paradigm for composition? Like having the ship at 1/3rd to the left or right instead of dead center?
Also with a slightly wider field of view this would make a much more balanced composition and more powerful image, I think.
I was waiting for someone to ask. It's really weird what happens when I move it. The sphere becomes a geometric solid like a crystal with facets. Maybe it's something with the .tgd or my computer. I think that I will experiment with a new project just to double check it. Thanks for your input!
They're all wasted!

Tangled-Universe

You could also move the camera and everything else, instead?
I don't mean to push you in actually doing it, I just recognize this type of problem and sometimes I resort to stupid simple solutions like this so that I can avoid solving painfully difficult problems.
If you like I can have a look at your ship setup to see why it refuses to be moved around. Just PM me if you feel like it.

RichTwo

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 14, 2021, 11:19:36 AMYou could also move the camera and everything else, instead?
I don't mean to push you in actually doing it, I just recognize this type of problem and sometimes I resort to stupid simple solutions like this so that I can avoid solving painfully difficult problems.
If you like I can have a look at your ship setup to see why it refuses to be moved around. Just PM me if you feel like it.
All great ideas!  I may get back to working on a slightly different version.  And thanks to Jordan (WAS) I solved the problem with an alarmingly simple solution.
They're all wasted!