Hollow Earth in Godzilla vs Kong

Started by WAS, April 08, 2021, 04:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I thought that was pretty cool, loved the landscape.

I've tried doing 3 attempts at this (separate blank projects to try and think fresh).

How on earth can I light a hollow earth scenario like they did in the film without there being terrain visibly cut-off to let in light, or disabled shadows making things look weird.

Any ideas can't hurt.

Nala1977

havent watched the movie, but most of these things are done in compositing especially in cinematography, im lookin at some images but im not sure what you referring to since i didnt watch the movie.

Dune

Show an image, and ideas might pop up...

Kadri

The way they made it looks more like 2 planes close together.

That is most probably fully fake and comped as Massimo said.
I seriously doubt that you can do it in a realistic manner as it is not possible.
In the way it looks in the movie at least.

Ulco search for "hollow earth Godzilla".

Kadri

I tried with a stretched sphere and a light source. This is what i got in half an hour.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on April 08, 2021, 08:59:18 AMI tried with a stretched sphere and a light source. This is what i got in half an hour.
That looks a little better then where I got. 

Actually had a dream about Terragen-ing and rememberes the thick haze in the film. May be able to use glowing clouds by way of sun to do it similar to yours.

WAS

Added example image. Also had an idea of merging with a default shader with opacity lowered to maybe let in some light with a distance shader

Kadri

According where the light is the shadows should all be very long.
I seriously doubt that is the real light source for that image.
There are possibly 2 (at least) different lights for the under and upper side.

Dune

You could disable shadows of the top sphere/plane, which would let light through off a higher sun, but be a bit unnatural, or make a hole in it by default shader opacity and a mask pointed at the sun, and let a sun shine through that. But the whole setup is unnatural, so you can do whatever you like. Or add an invisible plane right through both planes and make it luminating.

WAS

It honestly looks like the top plain may have been rendered with ambient occlusion or some sort of other weird lighting. Seems to be a aweful lack of shadows besides crevies.

Also camera angle and haze could obscure some bad lighting in the top portion.

Nala1977

Quote from: WAS on April 09, 2021, 02:02:46 AMIt honestly looks like the top plain may have been rendered with ambient occlusion or some sort of other weird lighting. Seems to be a aweful lack of shadows besides crevies.

Also camera angle and haze could obscure some bad lighting in the top portion.
in this shot, the huge rock where Kong is standing is a foreground piece you can clearly see the edges of this rock standing out from the background.

then there is the "lava" background terrain which is another layer, then there are all these horizontal layer that are in the far backrounds, these are just planes with opacity composited in Nuke.

The upper part are just horizontal images attached on planes on a multilayer opacity cards composited in nuke. They added fog and light in between these cards in compositing.

pretty sure a making of or behind the scene from the VFX studio will come out soon :)

there are better videos but just to show the technique, ran a quick youtube search. this is it

WAS

Yeah I figured as much, but I like to do as much in house with Planetside where I can. Going to experiment some more. May try a comp in Affinity or PS. 

Also weird he talks about lenses for matt paintings. O.o you'd think by design its either a digital painting at whatever orientation the brain spits out. Or a scanned painting.