Mars Ride at NASA's Kennedy Space Center

Started by cyphyr, June 21, 2022, 02:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Last year I was asked to help the guys at MouseTrappe create a series of rides at NASA's Kennedy Space Center

Everything is rendered from a fisheye 180deg camera perspective (which made the previews weird and awkward)

Mars Ride

Video taken by a NASA fan, I've not seen any promo shots elsewhere but they only just opened.

Lots of fun to work on, maybe one day I'll get to see it up close :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kevin Kipper

Hi Cypher,

Thanks for sharing that clip and congratulations to you and the team at MouseTrappe for completing such an awesome ride!

Dune

mhaze

That really gives a sense of how it must feel, grat work!

Hannes

WAS

We just got it in Seattle. They ran some ads starting last night on Facebook.

RogueNZ

Nice work Richard, it was a great project to work on (I did the the Earth entry and exits). A shame the Aurora I worked so hard on never made it in haha.

Did you do the Mars landing sequence and canyon run as well? I never got to see that part but looks really good as well!

I'm surprised to see that the final ride still looks very much.... fish eyed ;D

WAS

Quote from: RogueNZ on July 02, 2022, 05:28:35 AMNice work Richard, it was a great project to work on (I did the the Earth entry and exits). A shame the Aurora I worked so hard on never made it in haha.

Did you do the Mars landing sequence and canyon run as well? I never got to see that part but looks really good as well!

I'm surprised to see that the final ride still looks very much.... fish eyed ;D

The viewing port they use on the ride experience isn't really 180 degrees. You can't stick your head up in at look at 180 degrees. You'd only get a 180 degree view if you WERE the window (physically). A viewer from inside looking out a window, especially the further you go back, doesn't have a 180 degree view.

If I were to do a project like that I would use the viewer's POV, and map a 1:1 video to the window ports by simply zooming out to give a skew like 180 degrees, but not so extreme.You could then find a sweet spot that looks right for the presentation mapped to the windows shapes.

RogueNZ

Quote from: WAS on July 02, 2022, 12:57:12 PM
Quote from: RogueNZ on July 02, 2022, 05:28:35 AMNice work Richard, it was a great project to work on (I did the the Earth entry and exits). A shame the Aurora I worked so hard on never made it in haha.

I'm surprised to see that the final ride still looks very much.... fish eyed ;D

The viewing port they use on the ride experience isn't really 180 degrees. You can't stick your head up in at look at 180 degrees. You'd only get a 180 degree view if you WERE the window (physically). A viewer from inside looking out a window, especially the further you go back, doesn't have a 180 degree view.

If I were to do a project like that I would use the viewer's POV, and map a 1:1 video to the window ports by simply zooming out to give a skew like 180 degrees, but not so extreme.You could then find a sweet spot that looks right for the presentation mapped to the windows shapes.
Yes exactly... but that's not how the ride was explained to us before we started :)