Westward Ho!

Started by adit, March 23, 2008, 07:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adit

http://adit.deviantart.com/art/Westward-Ho-80825994

I've had the idea of recreating sailing stones mulling around in my head for a while now-so I figured I just had to finally take a stab at it.

This was a 12 hour render at 5000x2083px in Terragen with plenty of post processing in Photoshop. The stone in question is one I isolated from a fake stone layer with an image map displacement to leave the trail behind it.

Hopefully with an explanation that this is a sailing stone, the title makes more sense.

Will

ooo nice sense of scale.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Costaud

Cool lighting, very nice atmo.

rcallicotte

I agree with everyone.  Great point of view and  I love the lighting.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

NWsenior07

I agree about the lighting and the scale. Very well done.

Oshyan

Very nice post processing here, the end result is quite nice, I just can't help feeling like you could have done more of it in TG2. Of course it was probably faster with your existing ability for image editing to just do it in post, but as a TG2-lover I'd have liked to see it done natively. ;)

- Oshyan

Seth

like it but totally agree with Oshyan ^^

lightning

wow great postwork i thought this was done in terragen 2!

adit

Thanks guys. Yeah, unfortunately after it finished rendering I was surprised by how some of the parts turned out. As a result, I felt it was easier to go the post processing route than go back and re-render.

Tangled-Universe

I agree with Oshyan about trying to get everything done in TG2 if possible...
I think you did a great job on the postwork. Nice coloring, lighting and dramatic contrasts.
The concept is good and very well executed. To me this rock looks like the size of a schoolbus and thus seems a bit too big to be blown away by the wind on the mud...
Normally those stones are smaller. It doesn't really bother anyway.
The only thing that really should be improved in my opinion is to render the clouds again to get rid of te grain.
The rest of the image is so crisp and clear, a small pity the clouds aren't.
Nevertheless great work!

Martin

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: adit on March 23, 2008, 07:51:07 PM
This was a 12 hour render at 5000x2083px in Terragen with plenty of post processing in Photoshop.

For that render size that was very fast, I imagine the quality settings were quite low.  Even with reduction the grain in the clouds is noticeable although the post processing probably made this more noticeable.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.