Suggestions for NEW TG2

Started by lifeh2o, April 08, 2008, 06:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeh2o

Clipped region should be moveable with mouse.
How can i see live prewiev of only clipped region.
Documentation must be availible.
can i select multiple nodes with click and drag.

Matt

Points 1 and 4 have been implemented and will be included in future updates.

Cropped previews (updating only the part of the preview within a crop region) is an option I would like to add in future.

You may already know this, but there is a documentation section on this forum. I recognise that it is somewhat limited at the moment, and we will put a lot more time into the documentation this year.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?board=2.0

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Ahh yes great, click and drag to select nodes, wonderful! :)
A very good improvement to make it more user-friendly. Glad to hear these aspects are being dealed with as well.

lifeh2o

Thanks for second option that you will include.
One more thing i wnat to add is: TG2 prewivew render updates time and again when ever i click on a node or change the tab or with many other things i do.
These frequent updates should be handled properly. Means preview render should update only in case when a value that can effect preview is changed.
Also multiple views like those in big softwares will make a good change.

cyphyr

Don't forget there is a "Pause" button for the preview window.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Arandil

Multiple views can be achieved using multiple cameras, but moving between them is a bit awkward at the moment.  Making camera toggling more obvious in the GUI somehow may make this capability more accessible.

Matt

Multiple views is another thing we have already implemented, and you'll see that in upcoming versions.

Only updating the preview when there is a change to parameters which would affect the preview is quite difficult because of the often-unpredictable effect that nodes have on the rendered image, but we will do what we can to handle common cases where updates are not needed.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Moose

Hi Matt

Are you able to give a run-down of the new features that have been added since the last update. A few weeks back someone mentioned (was it you, cant remember) that they'd prepare a list for us to look at. Is that still possible?

Cheers :)

lifeh2o

Again with some more suggestions:
In old tg there was a very good method to set the sun postion. For new i have a good idea that you might like. There should be an check box  in the sunlight dialog. If that box is checked an arrow appear on preview indicating the postion (and distance) of sun. I got the idea of arrow from flying simulation games where arrow indicates the target postion and distance and moves as the target moves.
Size of objects should be adjustable in meters or feet or any other real world units to get easy scaling method.
My brother says that quality of live preview should be adjustable.
will the next TG supports animation in its free version???

jo

Hi,

Quote from: lifeh2o on April 19, 2008, 07:28:00 AM
In old tg there was a very good method to set the sun postion. For new i have a good idea that you might like. There should be an check box  in the sunlight dialog. If that box is checked an arrow appear on preview indicating the postion (and distance) of sun. I got the idea of arrow from flying simulation games where arrow indicates the target postion and distance and moves as the target moves.

That's a good idea. There needs to be a more intuitive method of setting the sun position.

QuoteSize of objects should be adjustable in meters or feet or any other real world units to get easy scaling method.

TG2 uses metres for units of distance. But do you mean you should be able to set the overall dimensions of an object? For example if you import something you should be able to set it to be 10 metres tall? The object related stuff is something which still needs a lot of improvements and additional user-friendliness.

QuoteMy brother says that quality of live preview should be adjustable.

Well, it is really. The longer you leave it the higher the quality. The reason each detail step takes longer to calculate is because, well, it takes longer to calculate. In the beta version the preview should be multithreaded, in the alphas it is noticeably faster.

Quotewill the next TG supports animation in its free version???

No. If you want animation you will need to purchase the Deep+Animation version.

Regards,

Jo

lifeh2o

QuoteBut do you mean you should be able to set the overall dimensions of an object? For example if you import something you should be able to set it to be 10 metres tall?

Yes you got it right. I really mean this.
You say beta will work on cores and work fast for preview. But if someone has single core, than what?

lifeh2o

Is it possible to save a rendering process in mid, and resume again later. I know the clipping is the solution. But it is just a question. I have done an experiment. I hibernated my pc during a render and when the i turned on pc the render continued from where i left.

jo

Hi,

Quote from: lifeh2o on April 22, 2008, 10:21:13 AM
You say beta will work on cores and work fast for preview. But if someone has single core, than what?

It will work at the same speed it always did. I'm not sure what the benefit of setting a quality level for the preview is though. What do you mean? Do you mean there should be a minimum quality or a maximum quality?

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi,

Quote from: lifeh2o on April 24, 2008, 08:45:06 AM
Is it possible to save a rendering process in mid, and resume again later. I know the clipping is the solution. But it is just a question. I have done an experiment. I hibernated my pc during a render and when the i turned on pc the render continued from where i left.

The reason that hibernating/sleeping your computer works is that the operating system basically saves everything which is needed to put the computer back into the state it was before you put it to sleep. However this is much more difficult for an application to do. Being able to save and resume rendering is a request we've had many times, and if we could have done it by now then we would have. Potentially we could work something out, but it would be quite a bit of work and probably wouldn't let you resume exactly from where you left off.

Regards,

Jo

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jo on April 25, 2008, 12:51:19 AM
Hi,

Quote from: lifeh2o on April 22, 2008, 10:21:13 AM

It will work at the same speed it always did. I'm not sure what the benefit of setting a quality level for the preview is though. What do you mean? Do you mean there should be a minimum quality or a maximum quality?

Regards,

Jo

Oh? I can remember one of Matt's posts where he states that the GI-system of the new version is a lot quicker in many cases and that the renderer has been slightly further optimized?