What does it take to get TG to render the entire model?

Started by gregsandor, April 21, 2008, 08:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

cyphyr

Glad you worked it out properly.

Yeah It would be so great if Planetside get the OBJ importing fully sorted for the next release. I generaly tend to use only TGO's rather than OBJ's in my images. Import the obj into its own file, work out all the texture problems and save the object out (right click on the obj node and save as ...) as a self contained tgo file.
Good luck with the render and let us see the final image :)

Richard

ps. yeah it is late, way past my bedtime :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

gregsandor

Quote from: RedSquare on April 21, 2008, 09:42:03 PM
Incidently, as you have imported in effect three objects into the scene does this allow you to have more shaders than the 16? (3x16)  Long time since I tried to add objects to TG2  or was it modelled as three objects but saved/exported as one object?  Good grief look at the time I must away to my bed.  :D

Yes.  You get 16 shaders per object.  I am shooting for fewer not more shaders, so these are all combined, with each object sharing shaders functions and images wherever possible. 

DeathTwister

Hay all,

OK I am betting that it is the 16 texture/mesh limit per model rule and that is why you getting messed up.  As above you need to first split the model up on exporting to make sure you have less then 16 textures and mesh. Otherwise you get black areas with no mapping, as it is a tgd2 thing dang it. I just go in and edit the .mtl file in word pad myself but, poser ray works for most peeps as well.
  The second thing which is weired is the textures getting messed up and in the wrong places, Doh......I think all you need to do is go into the Material tree and re-point the textures right and make sure they are the right textures for the model parts you want. I have noticed that we have to go in and do that every time to the models, and have to make sure you re-point the textures of the .mtl file.  You should be fine after that.  Nice work by the way I thought I was the only one trying to do these, SO WTG dude for working on it. I sure wish PlanetSide will et the writing on the wall with us wanting models into tgd2 easier and with 120 textures slots at least for models.
Here is a Piece I did using that way of exporting/importing models into TGD2. Note: it took me to split this up into 4 pieces to get into tgd2, A FYI.

Hope with the other input this helps some as you doing awesome fracking work, well done bro.
DT

Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

cyphyr

How many times dose this need to be said (especially with poser models!)
YOU DON'T NEED 16 TEXTURE CHANNELS !!!!!!
NO REALLY, YOU DON'T ! !
You only need the number of texture channels equal to the number of individual images your using.
Looking at my old Victoria model it has 4 (yes thats FOUR ! ) textures
The dragon has I believe only 3 (thats just THREE)

Using old Vicky as an example, sure the exported mesh has individual channels for everything from fingernails, the inside of the mouth (which could be deleted), a whole gamut of textures about the eye several for the body, hands and feet etc. But all you need to do in Terragen is plug the body, head wings etc into the relevant image and your good to go.

Happy rendering

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mohawk20

I have some experience in this field with my knight object (poser G2 Simon).
While it is true that the object is made of 88 groups, it has only 34 materials (a lot of different textures for the armour in this case.
The pose body only used 14 materials, which consisted of only 4 image maps. Head, eyes, body and hair.

However, while you only need to load 4 textures, you still need to apply them to all the different parts.
I used PoseRay to convert the groups to materials, changing the need for 88 nodes to 34.
I don't know how to get that lower in PoseRay or in Poser...

So you might not need to cut the object is as many parts as you think, but I guess you still need more that 16 nodes to cover all the body parts with only a few image maps in a lot of cases.
Howgh!

gregsandor

Part of the solution is to use a program like UVMapper to remap the materials; if the shader is the same for several, combine them into one. 

cyphyr

When I get back to Glastonbury I'll fire up poser and give it a go again.

I gave up last time because of the lack of support for transparency and the idea of a scene full of bald women ... (well lets not go there ;) )

I'm sure, particularly in the case of poser, that there is a lot of repetition and unnecessary texture, er... channeling ;)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mohawk20

I've found a reasonable solution to the bald women, it involves the right transmaps. Still grey values for transparency or opacity would be better in stead of only black and white...
Howgh!

bobbystahr

There is a utility for Poser and other .obj objects at Renderosity called Grouper which allows for re-grouping of the model into texture groups thus radically reducing the channels. I tried it a few times and had some success. It's an off site link so here y go...investigate...create....

http://www.castironflamingo.com/tutorial/grouper/index.html
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist