vue - Spectral Atmospheres 2

Started by reck, August 13, 2008, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xpleet

The devil bites me if this video is genuine.

You can not tell it from the clouds, i think they could be reproducable in Vue6, notice how the light comes from front or back, it's a trick of hiding detail that isn't there in Vue clouds. In the scene with the ship you see how Vue clouds look generally.

All of the content is reproducable in Vue6 without a problem.

Oshyan

I think the video is genuine, they just don't have a lot to show yet. It's posted by "eonsoftware" and does seem to include some new/updated scenes/footage. Still the lack of info is surprising judging from recent history.

- Oshyan

sjefen

I also think it's real.

Quote from: Xpleet on August 28, 2008, 01:38:01 AM
...it's a trick of hiding detail that isn't there in Vue clouds.

I assume you are still talking about the details in the shadow you see in the clouds from Terragen. If so.. I just want to say there is one slider in Terragen that make them go away :)

Quote from: Xpleet on August 28, 2008, 01:38:01 AM
...All of the content is reproducable in Vue6 without a problem.

I don't belive that. I want to see those clouds in the beginning of the movie reproduced with Vue 6.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Xpleet

QuoteI assume you are still talking about the details in the shadow you see in the clouds from Terragen. If so.. I just want to say there is one slider in Terragen that make them go away Smiley

No. What I meant was that in real clouds there is no detail in the shadows, so when you let the light hit from infront of the camera, your rendered clouds will mainly be shadows with some sharp edges highlighted. That way you can hide detail that isn't there!

QuoteI don't belive that. I want to see those clouds in the beginning of the movie reproduced with Vue 6.

Not so fast fellah. Everything can be done with a considerable effort in Vue6.

Here are some Vue 'Metaclouds' I just rendered, which are alternative spheric cloudsets of 10-300 spheres each.. I could sure reproduce the  clouds from the Vue vid if I really wanted.

took me about 10 mins to set it up and 27 more to render.

Vue(6) can do..but you have to do it right :P

Confusoid

The edges are to fuzzy and there needs to be a smaller scale more defined fractal noise breakup along those edges. Overall the clouds could look sharper. Still, not bad at all.  :)  What are your settings?

Xpleet

Quote from: Confusoid on September 05, 2008, 06:40:35 PM
The edges are to fuzzy and there needs to be a smaller scale more defined fractal noise breakup along those edges. Overall the clouds could look sharper. Still, not bad at all.  :)  What are your settings?

You are aware that this is Vue6 now is it? Lol i hope you are.

I will soon makes these Metaclouds materials available on my Deviantart site.

Basically with these clouds I have gone "where no vue-man has gone before".

Confusoid

Yes. Ofcourse.   :)

I'll take a look at your deviantart page when i get the chance.  ;D

rcallicotte

@Xpleet - Great job!  I love these clouds. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Xpleet

Quote from: calico on September 05, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
@Xpleet - Great job!  I love these clouds. 

thank you very much :)

for now I have uploaded them on http://rapidshare.com/files/142901533/Billowy_Metaclouds.mat.html
and once I get more experience with them i will upload the mat(s) on my dev-page.

lightning

i cant see your image it just says direct uploading no hotlinking

Confusoid

Got your file and did a quick render, well 2hrs but i had radiosity and volumetric lighting all the way up on my single core machine which is not bad render time wise. Anyways, i just placed a quick procedural terrain and texture in so that the metacloud stands out more here. Don't mind the pattern crap on the terrain, it's fixable. Who would have thought metaclouds could look this good just by moving the roughness slider all the way down. I'd always have it all the way up. LOL. Only trouble is when i try to change the metacloud settings vue freezes up on me and i have to shut down vue.  :(  More tests must be done.   :)

Seth

hehe Vue testing renders on Planetside's forum... the world goes crazy...

edit : i don't want to be harsh but these clouds don't look better than beginner's clouds on TG2...

Xpleet

Quote from: Confusoid on September 06, 2008, 03:47:23 AM
Got your file and did a quick render, well 2hrs but i had radiosity and volumetric lighting all the way up on my single core machine which is not bad render time wise. Anyways, i just placed a quick procedural terrain and texture in so that the metacloud stands out more here. Don't mind the pattern crap on the terrain, it's fixable. Who would have thought metaclouds could look this good just by moving the roughness slider all the way down. I'd always have it all the way up. LOL. Only trouble is when i try to change the metacloud settings vue freezes up on me and i have to shut down vue.  :(  More tests must be done.   :)

This is not just because roughness is away (which is really a cheap noise-add button) but look at the Density distribution tab, you can make your own cloudlook there :P. I just combined the same fractal on different scales like TG does and voila.

Why don't you post this or others pics in my thread about the new cloud idea at Renderosity?

Quotei don't want to be harsh but these clouds don't look better than beginner's clouds on TG2...

I think they look like dust-storms lol , I wish I could get them just a little more roundish although the roundups should be done by the spheres of the metaclouds, but also much really depends on the lighting.

So far only 1 picture of Terragen clouds has amazed me from lighting-base , the others just look abstract and unreal to my eye, but the shapes are really good.

fixed

Seth

if you think TG2's clouds are looking abstract, i suggest you to look at Luc Bianco's website...
Vue6 is an excellent software and can manage objects with astonishing effectiveness compared to TG2 but if you like realistic clouds i suggest you to throw Vue6 in the trashcan and go back to tg2 ^^

rcallicotte

Vue's clouds look real, but the internal lighting isn't the same as TG2's.  Nevertheless, a huge chasm appears between what we know about using that internal lighting and how it actually works.  Maybe Vue's approach of 'simple is better' is the better approach. 

If we get more feedback about clouds and their settings in TG2's forum, then maybe the jury won't be out so long.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?