Yes of coarse
9 (50%)
No
5 (27.8%)
I don't know
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

lightning

So do you believe in aliens if so WHY? or don't you believe in aliens if so WHY NOT?

lightning

I believe in aliens because i think the odds are over whelming there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on the earth so there is bound to be life out there some where! 

Will

Yea I say there is life out there, whether or not its been here is whats in question. As for that I have not seen another evidence from either party to made a decision.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

It's the argument about humility versus arrogance that made the argument stick for me in favor of believing in "aliens".

The argument - we're one planet in a gigantic galaxay that is a miniscule object in an apparently endless universe that might even be a part of some other natural structure we have yet to understand.  So...since we don't know, the assumption that we could be the only existing creatures in all of this real estate is a leap.  The greater probability is that there are millions of civilizations throughout the universe; but, then we're sort of isolated, which could prove frustrating to dwell on that fact for very long.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sjefen

I always end up talking about the universe with discussions like this.
We can all agree that it's big, but if it's just big there must be something behind that again and then something behind that again and forever like that. It can't just end if you know what I mean.
If it is endless..... then how the hell is that possible?

Anyway.... I vote I don't know cause I'm nut sure what to belive. There are many things that say there are life out there, but there are not any solid proof for us...... yet.

These are pretty interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7KeipF-WJU
I think there are 10 episodes.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

I think it would be foolish not to at least believe in a strong likelihood of "alien life". But the simple question "Do you believe in aliens" doesn't cover the real polarization that divides most people. We have come inches from apparently discovering bacteria on other planets even in our own solar system, so it's reasonable to think in the great hugeness of the universe there is at least other *simple* life. Most people are more interested in the question of whether there is *sentient* alien life, and perhaps even more controversially, whether it has visited our planet. In regards to the latter question I personally think not, but I do believe there is likely sentient alien life out there, and I hope I live long enough to find out for sure...

- Oshyan

cyphyr

I think the issue is not so much one of "do aliens exist" but rather do they exist in a time frame concurrent to us. The universe is very old and will continue for a long time yet. Civilizations will rise and fall, species will come into existence and vanish in the blink of the universe's eye. I'm sure that if we could go to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe and look back we would see a great deal of alien life forms, civilizations and indeed intelligent life. The chances of life occurring in the universe are high but I'm sorry Oshyan, you'd have to out live humanity in order to get a chance of even hearing from it, let alone shaking its tentacle.

There is of course the Drake equation follow the link for a detailed explanation.

Considerable disagreement on the values of most of these parameters exists, but the values used by Drake and his colleagues in 1961 were:

* R* = 10/year (10 stars formed per year, on the average over the life of the galaxy)
    * fp = 0.5 (half of all stars formed will have planets)
    * ne = 2 (stars with planets will have 2 planets capable of supporting life)
    * fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
    * fi = 0.01 (1% of which will be intelligent life)
    * fc = 0.01 (1% of which will be able to communicate)
    * L = 10,000 years (which will last 10,000 years)

Drake's values give N = 10 × 0.5 × 2 × 1 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10,000 = 10

and a more modern value:

N = 7 × 0.5 × 2 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10000 = 2.31

So umm the odds don't look good, sorry :)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mogn

Why should intelligent life develop on other planets. Evidence shows that it has not happent on a plesant planet Earth. ::)

Will

red_planet

PorcupineFloyd

Sorry, but no.

We have a very limited amount of knowledge about ourselves and our planet, not to mention other solar systems and what they may contain. Yet still - there are quite many parameters that need to fit each other in other to start the process of life with all the evolution, etc. and still we have a matter of scale and time.

And one other thing - our perception is also very limited. Maybe there are some logical entities floating around all the time but we can't "measure" their existance. After all - everything is relative :P

rcallicotte

Richard, could I hear this in layman's terms?

Quote from: cyphyr on October 18, 2008, 10:47:04 PM
I think the issue is not so much one of "do aliens exist" but rather do they exist in a time frame concurrent to us. The universe is very old and will continue for a long time yet. Civilizations will rise and fall, species will come into existence and vanish in the blink of the universe's eye. I'm sure that if we could go to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe and look back we would see a great deal of alien life forms, civilizations and indeed intelligent life. The chances of life occurring in the universe are high but I'm sorry Oshyan, you'd have to out live humanity in order to get a chance of even hearing from it, let alone shaking its tentacle.

There is of course the Drake equation follow the link for a detailed explanation.

Considerable disagreement on the values of most of these parameters exists, but the values used by Drake and his colleagues in 1961 were:

* R* = 10/year (10 stars formed per year, on the average over the life of the galaxy)
    * fp = 0.5 (half of all stars formed will have planets)
    * ne = 2 (stars with planets will have 2 planets capable of supporting life)
    * fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
    * fi = 0.01 (1% of which will be intelligent life)
    * fc = 0.01 (1% of which will be able to communicate)
    * L = 10,000 years (which will last 10,000 years)

Drake's values give N = 10 × 0.5 × 2 × 1 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10,000 = 10

and a more modern value:

N = 7 × 0.5 × 2 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10000 = 2.31

So umm the odds don't look good, sorry :)

Richard

Will

He says that using drakes equation wish modern values there is a pretty small chance of intelligent life out there.

rcallicotte

Yes, Will.  But, this doesn't explain the equation.

It's just simple arrogance to think we're it.  That's how Galileo was excommunicated by a simplistic set of fools - being self-centric.  The Universe doesn't circle the Earth.

It's meant to sound harsh; arrogance sucks.

Cyber-Angel

In fact what Galileo did was to follow up on the work published by Nicholas Copernicus in his book De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium  (On The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres) in 1543 in which Nicholas Copernicus attacked the Aristotelian Earth Centered Universe, view held at the time by the Roman Catholic Church.

The Observations made by Galileo confirmed the work of Nicholas Copernicus that the Earth revolved around the sun and not the other way around; however this brought Galileo into conflict with the Roman Church and a Church court was convened to investigate Galileo on the charge of heresy and Galileo was called to Rome to give evidence in his defense; it was while in Rome during this time that Galileo is said to of made is famous remark "These Fools are blind, even with a telescope, they do not believe what their own eyes tell them".

Galileo was forced to recount what he had said as fact and say that his findings where theory alone; with this he was allowed to return home but he was to spend the remander of his life under house arrest.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel