chat on the forum ?

Started by Seth, February 11, 2009, 11:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Yes. 

Quote from: PG on February 12, 2009, 02:35:47 PM
Somehow I think calico was using the term rather lightly and when someone didn't know what the word meant he gave the "official" definition.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

While the idea of people using chat for more "casual, conversational" things is great, vs. using the forums for discussion of technical things and how to accomplish effects, how do you really make sure this is the case? It's not like people on a TG forum/chat won't talk about TG, and surely some interesting and useful things will come up. So then must they reproduce it in a forum thread? Or will they have the discipline at that time to say "Wait, we should go continue this on the forum."? I doubt it. Having tried chat apps before on some of the sites I have run, I honestly didn't find them to be that great a feature. But I'm open to more discussion on it, and of course mine is not the only opinion that matters. ;)

- Oshyan

Seth

i understand, but i thought we were a bunch of adults...
if you think people can't just discipline themselves... I don't know, the forum seems very "clean" and people sounds very "professionnal" most of the time...
at least that's the feeling I have... ^^

Oshyan

It's that I don't think people have "self control", I just think it would naturally evolve into "technique" discussion, and people just wouldn't think of it, or it would be a hassle to move the conversation to the forums. At the same time I don't see a great deal of benefit from having it. I don't mean to be negative, that's just the way I see it. I've had the same conversation (and done some tests as well) on a few of the sites I've run, too... ;D

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

I agree with your thoughts/feelings about this Oshyan.
Simply said: everybody here shares the same interest, TG, so it's very unlikely a chat won't be about TG.

Dark Fire

Quote from: PG on February 12, 2009, 02:35:47 PM
Somehow I think calico was using the term rather lightly and when someone didn't know what the word meant he gave the "official" definition.
Whether they're used lightly or not, I do not appreciate words that I have to look up on Google and/or Urban Dictionary being used against me.

Quote from: Oshyan on February 13, 2009, 03:19:08 AM
It's that I don't think people have "self control", I just think it would naturally evolve into "technique" discussion, and people just wouldn't think of it, or it would be a hassle to move the conversation to the forums.

- Oshyan

*CompSci mode on*
The logical solution to that would be a chat system that starts logging a certain number of messages, when certain keywords are mentioned (and, of course, if more keywords are mentioned, it continues logging).
*CompSci mode off*

PG

I'm on a website called mafiascene and we used to "moderate" the shoutbox ourselves. If someone asked questions about Mafia the game then we'd tell them to ask the question on the forums instead. Then the staff got all high and mighty and said it was their job to moderate. Now we have about 5 spam topics created every day ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Cephei

I Think a chatbox would be cool, But only in Open Discussion.

To avoid 'help' threads from losing posts that may contain a useful solution...
It's much easier to see replies than to scroll through 400 pages worth of chat. That may be Relevant or Irrelevant. Wheras in Open discussion, there wouldn't be such a problem.

freelancah

Why not use IRC networks like quakenet?

Cyber-Angel

The thing about IRC is, that not everyone has an IRC software Client on their system nor indeed would wish to have one and/or knows how to use IRC which can be quite complex at times, getting on towards a BBS at times and this would exclude users whom don't this technology. If [in Principle] a chat system where implemented here it would need to be based on some thing accessible to all some thing Java based maybe, since I know nothing more about this subject I'll leave it to others better qualified then I.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel