Free Image editor

Started by Mohawk20, April 16, 2009, 11:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

I once (long ago) subscribed to a Photoshop contest site called Worth1000.
I never receive e-mails from them, but today I did, and I think you might find it interesting...

I almost never send out these emails, but I wanted to let you know about something huge that's going on at Worth1000 now. As you might already know, Worth1000 is a contest site primarily dedicated to Photoshopping images.

Over the 7 years since Worth1000 launched, I have been asked by thousands of people who viewed our Photoshop contests: How do I make images like the amazing Worth1000 entries?

Most were asking because traditional desktop software was simply too expensive or hard to learn. Seriously, $2,000 for editing tools?! It was time for a change. I decided it was my responsibility to the awesome design community at Worth1000 to be the one to do it.

So, I created Aviary

Aviary, is a suite of free design tools. Now anyone with internet access can use them without installing anything. You just need to visit Aviary and you're all set.

Aviary should be enough for anyone to get started making some really amazing images (and other types of media). Aviary also allows you to share and work on files with other people in the Aviary community, which makes it even easier to learn.

So far we have released 4 applications into public beta, with many more planned:

- Phoenix: an image editor (similar to Adobe Photoshop / Gimp)
- Raven: a vector editor (useful for logos / and clothing design)
- Toucan: a color editor
- Peacock: an effects editor

We even created an entire free education center where people can learn how to make awesome effects!

If you enjoyed Worth1000, I hope you'll also take the time to try out Aviary

At the very least, I encourage you to let anyone interested in image editing to know about it. Feel free to forward this email to a friend.

The more people that try out our software, the less big corporations will be able to charge to use their software! In a time. when every penny counts, this is vitally important to keeping art software affordable for artists of all ages. Together, we can make a difference.

Sincerely,

Avi Muchnick
Creator of Worth1000
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Cool.  I guess.  Have you tried any of these products?

[edit - Okay.  I've tried three of these and it's cool.  But, I like software on my machine.  This seems too invasive, weirdly enough.]
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Thank you Mohawk, very interesting!
This guy is doing the right thing. For now, the image editor is not very versatile, yet. Maybe, if enough volunteer developers are helping with pushing this further, it may eventually become a full featured editor.
What strikes me though as a potential downside of his endeavor is, that free software like gimp are so much more advanced already, and able to run on all operating systems. So he will have a hard time catching up. However, competition is good, even among free applications.
I have high hopes that gimp will make another big stride in its capabiltities over the next 2 years, making the need for photoshop obsolete. PS is so insanely high priced, it's unbelievable. Right, it has a lot of features for print and whatnot, but then they don't offer a reasonably downsized version either, that comes more affordable. Will probably never happen.
So yeah, gimp and inititatives like the one form worth1000 are very welcome. Hooray!

Cheers,
Frank

neuspadrin

wow thats pretty impressive for a webapp.  still lacking but thats too be expected.  probably best suited for those times stranded on other computers where i dont have my photoshop and only have someone elses mspaint to work with ;) haha.