Highland Grass pack (Best grass yet!!!) (NEW LINK)

Started by lightning, July 05, 2008, 11:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

Any models from lightning are gone due to the whole issues with that.  They were stolen models modified in pirated software and such. 

Seth

arisdemos

What is the point of this thread  being displayed, after all the file in question is none existent. So let the subject expire, who needs the confusion of "It was a good old grass, but it's gone!."

AndyWelder

Quote from: arisdemos on May 13, 2009, 02:40:13 PM
What is the point of this thread  being displayed, after all the file in question is none existent. So let the subject expire, who needs the confusion of "It was a good old grass, but it's gone!."
Maybe better check the most recent replies first before jumping on a download link?
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

arisdemos

Andy I for one don't have a need to get on any download link to get lightning's now illicite file, and I think everyone currently knows the facts about this whole Xfrog controversy well enough to let any supposed linkage/connections alone. Am I missing some subtlety of this subject or does the ongoing status of lightning's missing grass file really matter to this forum membership?

AndyWelder

"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

dandelO

Quote from: AndyWelder on May 13, 2009, 03:21:43 PM
Don't we all love Robin Hood? ;)

Yes, but you can't make Sherwood Forest without the trees! ;) :D :D

arisdemos

I think this story is more like William Tell who ends up having to shoot the apple off his own head!. We in this forum can only fill the gap of plantlife left by Lightning's fall from grace by facing the reality of what and where the available flora is TODAY, and going to those locations and sources in our TG2 oriented cyber world.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

The models weren't stolen.  Lightning owned everything he was working on, but it was the educational version.  Then, what he did is highly modified some of the xFrog trees and brought those into his own creations.  It was like a third-generation model that was mostly his own work.  The stickler to this was that the little percentage that wasn't his work wasn't why we liked Lightning's work.

Before Lightning, we had nothing.  Klas and a couple of others since are the only people who have come close to the quality and care Lightning put into his work. [Edit] And thankfully we now have the models from Walli, which are very good from what I've heard. [/Edit]

So Lightning didn't PIRATE anything.  The xFrog license is such that no modification is allowed, even if it's only a small part of your own model.  I think it's a ridiculous "rule" and calls into question what it means when we buy something from someone.  Is it ours?  Or not?

Quote from: neuspadrin on May 11, 2009, 02:05:29 PM
Any models from lightning are gone due to the whole issues with that.  They were stolen models modified in pirated software and such. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: neuspadrin on May 11, 2009, 02:05:29 PM

That was/is my understanding at least as far as the better quality models were concerned.   In light of that I have been in contact with Greenworks during my Xfrog trial period to make sure I kept myself legal.  I am not taking sides or wanting to cause or perpetuate arguments, I just wanted to cover myself.  The whole area of copyright, derivative works and intellectual property is a nightmare

If you think that is complicated look at this:
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/patents.shtml
Which drug company already controls part of your body?
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.