Errors while rendering

Started by MGebhart, October 25, 2009, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

Has anyone run across this.

Where the rendering stopped is when the errors started. It claims 21 errors however, there is one error and two errors repeated X 5.

Let me know if it's me.

My Graphics card is a nVidia (PNY) GeForce GTS 250 1024MB XLR8 Performance Edition.
Marc Gebhart

dandelO

One of the objects in the scene doesn't have the same filepath as when you loaded it, I imagine.
The first error says 'cannot locate file'. Did you move any models that were being used in this scene to a different location on your pc?
Go through your objects until you locate the object reader that isn't finding the file and reassign the correct filepath.

I see the traceray error often, it never seems to have any impact on the scene, it usually appears for me when I delete certain types of nodes from the node network, and not really at all when rendering.

MGebhart

Thank you. I'll check it all out.

Appreciate you're response.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Oshyan

Actually, this usually indicates a memory-related issue. It's reporting the issue multiple times because it occurs multiple times as it tries to continue rendering the scene. I would suggest posting your render setting details here, and watching the Task Manager next time you try to render the scene. Since you're on a 32 bit version of Windows, TG2 won't be able to use more than 2GB of memory. If it gets too close to, much less above that, you'll get errors like this, or even a crash. Running a 64 bit version of Windows can help even though TG2 is not yet a 64 bit app.

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

Oshyan, I just added two gigs to my computer, making it 3.5 gigs. (I don't know where the 1/2 gig went) I was having population difficulties when they exceeded 2 million of one object. I have not seen this since the RAM upgrade.
Is the population instancing memory handled differently than the other memory use?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Here are my Render settings.

Marc Gebhart

domdib

One thing that stands out right away - having GI surface details turned on is rarely necessary. While it may not be connected to your errors, it will slow your renders down. Recommend you look at the sticky on render settings in the Terragen 2 Discussion forum. (Microvertex jittering is also unnecessary unless you're using water).

MGebhart

Domdib,

I'll read the post and incorporate your suggestion.

Thank you.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Oshyan

Your render settings look fine really, aside from the GI Surface Details issue which was already mentioned. So I'm left to wonder how big the populations/objects (in terms of polygon count) are in your scene and how much memory your system has.

- Oshyan

MGebhart

I did have an .obj that was part of the problem and corrected it. Thanks for the heads up.

I did some major optimizing of Vista today, turning off unnecessary services and startup programs. Also, I created my page file on an external drive and made both min and max settings 1.5x the amount of RAM on the box. Then I went into the power settings and changed my cpu settings to min 20% and max to 100%. Vista by default will show 2 cpu's even if you are running a quad core. Most people are not aware of this. If you type msconfig under the Start button then go to the Boot tab and open Advanced options you can check if it's using all your cpu's. Did a bunch of other stuff like deleting orphans in the registry and too many other things to list here but, the box is smoking. I mounted a fire extinguisher on my monitor. There is a noticeable performance increase. I'm a Mac guy and never have to mess with this junk till I bought my new HP.

I'll do a render tonight and keep you all posted if your interested.

Marc

Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

Try IOBit's Advanced System Care. It does all the things you did by hand. There is also a program called Game Booster, by IOBit. This turns on and off unnecessary stuff. Both are free. 8)

MGebhart

I finally got my scene rendered but, I got another ERROR. This may be due to an XFrog export issue. I'm just guessing.

The image may be viewed in the Image Sharing section under the topic Bigfoot.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

If you are not too far time wise in a render, stop the render. Go to the objects populator and then the Seed Tab. Hit randomize. When you start the render over, this error should be taken care of. Very seldom does this error effect the render.

MGebhart

njeneb,

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

jo

Hi,

Quote from: MGebhart on October 27, 2009, 10:05:15 AM
I finally got my scene rendered but, I got another ERROR. This may be due to an XFrog export issue. I'm just guessing.

This isn't actually an error, it's a warning. That's what the yellow warning icon signifies, as opposed to the red error icon. It isn't a great warning message, I'll admit. This particular warning is not really something to worry about. It's actually there more as a notification to the developers. IIRC the problem its mentioning doesn't seem to effect the final image, but it does signify some internal state has got a bit out of whack and we've been trying to figure out why.

Regards,

Jo