starship troopers

Started by Jack, January 10, 2010, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrix2003

Well I disagree!  ;)  The dialog was pathetic, but the BUGS were AWESOME!
My favorite 90's Sci-Fi flick would have to be The Fifth Element.   Just my two cents. - Bill .

[attachimg=#]
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Jack

Quote from: mr-miley on January 11, 2010, 04:14:57 AM
the lead woman in it is stunning  ;D

lol your right about that^^

yeah the graphics where damn good for the time its a 13 year old movie lol and i must admit it was a laugh when the soldiers body parts kept flying of during the battles
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

matrix2003

The graphics were exceptional, but I agree with your original post.
I found it it very awkward to watch, and the childish banter was pseudo cartoon trash.

Sad to say.... most Bruce Willis films were better.

Kadri

The last science fiction films i was really emerged was Alien , Aliens and Terminator 2 .
There are good films but as an experience these stand out for me .
But 2001  is in another league completely (for me) . This generation can barely watch it i think .

Kadri.

matrix2003

Quote from: Kadri on January 11, 2010, 08:06:20 PM
This generation can barely watch it i think. /quote]

True.  But this generation is not not doing what I was 30 years ago.  Or maybe they are are, and Avatar is their 2001.
2001 was confusing as a teenager, and 2010 'the movie' explained it all, for those of us that partook in the 70's.  :D :D :D

Kadri

If Avatar is the 2001 of this generation everything has gone wrong from the sixties up to this point  :)

Kadri.

mr-miley

Ahhhh, 2001. Still one of the greatest films ever made. Not a bad comment from me, who has seen it loads of times and still has no idea what it was about :D Cinimatography some of the best eve, in any type of film. HAL is still my favourite PC ever (alright, maybe PC is an understatement...) Every computer I have ever owned (or had in work) has been called HAL_9000. Sad, but true :)

5th Element has to rank up there with some of the best though. Another one that doesn't take itself too seriously.

But if you want true genius, you can't beat Bad Taste. Made for £2.50, with, if you read the credits, every family member of the production crew roped in to do something. Honestly, there are only about 6 different surnames in the entire credits. Laugh a minute and totally over the top SFX. Brilliant.

I'm a Derek, and Dereks don't run!
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

CCC

Time to call "The Boys".     ;D

Kadri

Quote from: Kadri on January 11, 2010, 08:31:23 PM

If Avatar is the 2001 of this generation everything has gone wrong from the sixties up to this point  :)

Kadri.

I think i should exclude technology , but you get the point .This is more from an artistic point of view .
2001 can be criticized too from some aspects .

5th Element is a comedy nothing more  :)

I have seen yesterday  " Moon " .  It is interesting , especially if you consider that there is only (nearly) one actor in it .

Kadri.

FrankB

Quote from: Kadri on January 12, 2010, 07:24:07 AM
2001 can be criticized too from some aspects .

that's true. for example, it was really boring most of the time. It surely captured the to-be-expected silence in space well, but boy....
On the other hand, it's many years ago when I watched 2001 once, maybe I will see this differently nowadays. :)

Cheers,
Frank

Kadri

Quote from: FrankB on January 12, 2010, 08:58:40 AM
that's true. for example, it was really boring most of the time.

Cheers,
Frank

Did you see Stalker ? If you did see it , you know what i mean :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

Kadri.

CCC

The 5th Element was unique in terms of look but it is nothing more then a fun visual/action flick. 2001 is visual and cinematographic genius but a story that adds nothing:

http://www.confusedmatthew.com/2001%3A-A-Space-Odyssey.php

The fellow above sums it up very well.

Had not seen Moon yet but it reminds me of Cast Away in the sense of one actor trying to keep the audience in the theater. Cast Away i liked a lot.

David Lynch's Eraser Head was very boring as well but there is something about that fellow that fascinates me.

Kadri

This Matthew guy is annoying  :)
My English is hindering to write what i really think about 2001 . I like it much .
But i know that it is too long and sometimes boring. In this generation more then those days .

But please , can he not see that it is not about one human or a group of human ? It is about the evolution of the human race.
Man like ape evolves to make tools (thus the flying crap :) )  and makes an artificial  intelligence ( in a way another kind of living thinking species )
and is hunted by it . But in the end evolves to another form of superior species .

This is the story !

You can interpret it on other levels . But saying that it is about nothing is like not seeing the forest because of the trees..

And when you judge films (it is the same on other things ) you have to consider  the condition  of the days it is made.
No one had seen such images until this film . Computer generated images (Mathew says nothing there too.. He don't know about film history ) was used too on those days.

Yes it is long and so ... But think about please . Why is " Bronenosets Potyomkin "   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015648/   one of the classics ?

I have seen it . And maybe there are tons of better videos on Youtube that are maybe better now . But this is because of films like these.

Do you know  The Godfather  ? I know you know it probably . I still love this film . This film is glorifying murderers... But it has its place too in film history .

As i grow up my viewpoint of films changed too...

Anyway... But please if you evaluate  films don't evaluate it from winkers view.

This is not towards  you CCC . I mean it in general .

Cheers.

Kadri.

CCC

Sometimes he can get very passionate about his reviews and i do not agree with everything he reviews either. It is a 50/50 with him.

Kadri

CCC not that i trust  Roger Ebert all the times but this article is good (in my opinion :) ) .

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19970327/REVIEWS08/401010362/1023

Nobody has to like everything but i like films where you have to think . Does Avatar have such a feeling after the film?
I think the most conversation after seeing it is around " wow what effects " kind of.

But after films like 2001 you think "what was this?"." What was the meaning " and so...

Kadri.