lightwave chan file export done!

Started by Thejazzshadow, January 08, 2010, 11:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thejazzshadow

I'll have to try that. Something else I noticed is when I uncheck the include frame number, I get animation but it's nothing like what I exported.

Matt

Does this chan file work? I've made sure it has CRLF, and zipped it so hopefully nothing should be invisibly converted when you download it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Thejazzshadow

Matt

Great. Now what about this one, which is LF only?

Thejazzshadow

Works again. For some reason, the chan's you are giving me I can't open in text edit whereas the ones I exported I can. What program do you use to compress?

Matt

I think test_CRLF.chan was created with Notepad on Windows (copying and pasting the lines from your file that didn't work). I verified that all the line endings were CRLF by viewing in Notepad++ written by Don Ho. I then compressed it to a .zip using Windows 7's built-in zip compression, but I think the zip compression is irrelevant here.

test_LF.chan was processed through a simple program called ConvertCRLF to convert all line endings to LF, and zipped using IZArc.

The only weird or important thing about the formatting of these files is the line endings, whether they are CRLF (Windows) or LF (Unix and Max OS X).

i am surprised that Text Edit on OS X can't view these files! You mean the .chans, not the .zips that contain them? You were able to extract the .chans to test in TG2. What errors do you get, if any? Do you see anything at all?

Thejazzshadow

Actually I got it to work now. I had to open it within Text edit. There were no recommended programs for the zip. I actually imported the zip files and TG2 accepted it.

Matt

Ah, got it.

So it looks like CRLF and LF endings both work in TG2 on the Mac and on Windows. Just need to figure out how to get the LScript to export those line endings. I wonder if one of the versions nixx created already would have worked, but got missed in the confusion of so many versions being updated and downloaded.

nixx

Every different version was up long enough for Jazzshadow to test, then removed in order to avoid confusion for other users. If you want me to, I can re-make and re-upload them. Might be a limitation/bug/"feature" of lscript ? Do you think it would be worth the time to make it work in binary mode, writing 0D/0A bytes ?
I 'm child, and man, then child again; the boy never gets older

Thejazzshadow

Actually in Text edit, I only see the numbers. I don't see any line endings?

Matt

Quote from: Thejazzshadow on January 19, 2010, 12:44:29 AM
Actually in Text edit, I only see the numbers. I don't see any line endings?

That's OK. The line endings don't show in most editors, as it's usually only programmers that have to worry about them. But there are editors out there which have options to show them.

Thejazzshadow

4 pages of this forum and now finally it works! Thanks to you both Matt and Nixx. Unless you really want to keep working with this, Matt's idea only takes 30 seconds longer. I downloaded TextWrangler, opened my chan file, clicked save as, changed line ending to anything but CR. No problem. Nixx, I don't know if you've posted your changed plugin for Windows already but if you can add one of your mac plugins you gave me + TextWrangler for Mac users  ,http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/download.html, then we will be done with this 4-5 page topic!

Kadri

Thanks  Nixx ! The script ( TG2ChanExport v1.1.zip) worked for me very well :)