Want to make canyons

Started by Amenbrick, March 25, 2010, 05:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amenbrick

I found these, if any other nubs wander in with the same question.

http://en.tgblog.de/?p=26=1  <  walkthrough of how to make a single canyon with two heightfields.

http://en.tgblog.de/?p=27&cpage=1#comment-606  < step by step voronoi dried clay.  Scale it up.

previous contributors where helpful, but no-one were pitched at quite the right level for me, i.e. stunned monkey.

Amenbrick

First original canyon, using the heightfield method above    Anyone one know why overhangs and such are only on one side?  Here is the map:

Primalace

Are your twist and shear shaders working in opposite directions? You might need to have two different heightfield generators and make sure the merge shader is set to highest (raise).

Amenbrick

merge shader is set to highest (raise)

Managed to get it to loom in the right direction, by doing what you suggested with the twist and shear.

Amenbrick

next issue... on the vohnoi page, I ended up with this

instead of the nice dried mud they get.

Compare and contrast our work flows... where have I gone wrong

theirs:

mine

Primalace

Did you also copy the values used in each of the nodes? Might be that the scale is off and if you zoom in you'll see the cracks?

Amenbrick

Quote from: Primalace on March 31, 2010, 01:17:54 PM
Did you also copy the values used in each of the nodes? Might be that the scale is off and if you zoom in you'll see the cracks?

None were given... the first time i did it, it worked (up to the subtract), but something went wrong after I fiddled. I restarted and couldn't get it.  I didn't need zooming in that first time.

I messed about with the xyz on the canyon wall and got it to really loom, though it looks a bit samey.

Primalace

I've attached a clip file that has values set up for around 1-2 metre cracked mud. It should be self explanatory when you insert the file. You can adjust the placement via changing the surface layers properties.

Amenbrick

Amenbrick

ok, that worked to a point.  I made it bigger and I zoomed in.

I wanted to rough up the canyons and thought I could do it like I did on the heightfield canyons, above, with redirect shaders, but it says I can't because my compute terrain is not connected to my planet.  Is there another way to make the close up canyons realistic or have I missed something?

Amenbrick

Ok worked that out.

Next problem.   How to make this roughing up... more rough (the preview looks great, the render not so much).    And why will it not let me colour by altitude.  Instead I can only do this wierd war paint thing by slope restraints.

(ignore the globe for now, it's my next thing... how to change its surface).

Henry Blewer

The Surface Shader has a tab, Altitude Constraints. I use this for creating color layers. The key for getting nice tight layers using this is the Min and Max fuzzy zone inputs/sliders. If you set the lowest layers max height to 200m and the max fuzzy zone to 0, no color will be above 200m. On the next Surface Layer, set the min height to 200m with 0 min fuzzy zone. This will start the next color at 200m.

Continue doing this for as many layers as you like; setting the min and max altitude. Each min altitude is the previous surface layers max altitude. I use obnoxious contrasting colors to test the layers, then change them to the proper colors when I am happy with the setup.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Amenbrick

Quote from: njeneb on March 31, 2010, 09:49:38 PM
The Surface Shader has a tab, Altitude Constraints. I use this for creating color layers. The key for getting nice tight layers using this is the Min and Max fuzzy zone inputs/sliders. If you set the lowest layers max height to 200m and the max fuzzy zone to 0, no color will be above 200m. On the next Surface Layer, set the min height to 200m with 0 min fuzzy zone. This will start the next color at 200m.

Continue doing this for as many layers as you like; setting the min and max altitude. Each min altitude is the previous surface layers max altitude. I use obnoxious contrasting colors to test the layers, then change them to the proper colors when I am happy with the setup.

I got this but the alts is so low, like 30m or so.   Despite the scalar being set at 2000 and the main surface layer being displaced to 7500.    I thought they set the height and this would be higher?   

Henry Blewer

Could you post your TGD file in the file section. I'll take a look at it. Then set up things how I do them. I'll post an explanation also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Amenbrick

sure, didn't know i could do that...