Jump! - Wip

Started by Goms, November 18, 2010, 03:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goms

Seems like i'm seriously creating an image atm.
As there is already some snow again on the alps, i'm getting nervous and all exited. :D
Just a few more weeks!!!

My plan is to add some trees in the lower valley and to use a cloud for some powder-like effects.
A motion blur will be done later in gimp.
the more blue image is what came out of tg2, the postworked what i want it to look like later; it should look like the view trough ski-glasses.
all comments and suggestions welcome!

edit: shame on me! what i totally forgot to mention is that the snow is partly dandelO's plain snow shader. thx man!
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Goms

ok, i tweaked the snow and rock surface a little bit.
The snowboard is gone for now, as its the last thing i will add - every change of the surface will otherwise make it fly or eat it.

i don't know if i like the overhanging snow; i've often seen this, but it looks strange here.
also i think the patch size needs to be way smaller, as you can see edges in the snow. :/

cyphyr

Looking very good. I like the overhanging snow but I agree, it needs some work, its a little too uniform atm.
Its diferent but your image reminds me of this ... wing suit or Speed flying
Are you going to animate this?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Goms

i think a redirect should do it; i'll see what i can get with that.

sadly, i dont have the deep+animation version, just the deep. but it would be a good candidate. this image was rendered in ~8 min with 0.8 detail, 3 AA, supersampled 2;2 gi and raytraced shadows on my core 2 quad.
maybe the animation will be my xmas present to myself this year. :)

thx,
Goms

Tangled-Universe

Cool snow :) Blue-node magic or "normal" shaders? ;) You can get similar effects with intersect underlying, but I haven't seen anything like this before.

Quote from: Goms on November 18, 2010, 07:33:14 AM
sadly, i dont have the deep+animation version, just the deep. but it would be a good candidate. this image was rendered in ~8 min with 0.8 detail, 3 AA, supersampled 2;2 gi and raytraced shadows on my core 2 quad.
maybe the animation will be my xmas present to myself this year. :)

thx,
Goms

Looks like a fair rendertime to me. Don't forget that you'll need detail blending enabled for animations. You'd also need more GI samples to avoid flickering.
In my experience so far a sampling level of 6 works fine.
For clouds it's also best to have acceleration caches disabled. So if you plan to add those, remember that.
So with this in mind, I guess the 8 minutes/frame will likely become 20-25 min/frame.

Looking forward to where you're going with this.

Martin

Goms

all normal shaders until now. ;)
i used the favour depression intersection with very detailed settings; wasn't easy to figure out the right values.

the breakup of the snow was pretty easy btw; i just added a fractal before the compute terrain.
This breaks up the smooth surface of the heightmap.

as you mention it, what exactly are detail blending and displacement filter doing anyway?
most of the options in the extra tab are mysterious for me :D

Goms

next update. the snow is a little bit tweaked and the light changed.
I don't know what to do about the sun settings. i get the most out of the rock structures with a light from the front and low elevation...
but this makes the snow just plain white. :/

dandelO

Quote from: Goms on November 18, 2010, 11:47:32 AM
I don't know what to do about the sun settings. i get the most out of the rock structures with a light from the front and low elevation...
but this makes the snow just plain white. :/

And unfortunately, that's the only way you'll see the 'sparkle' function, if it is indeed enabled in the snow shader. It relies on a direct front light as it is a simple reflective Perlin function.
A secondary sunlight in front, with only 'specular highlights' checked will do the trick to maintain the sparkle whilst you move the main sun around the scene.
It's nice, the way you've rounded off the shelf-edge. I liked it quite sharp when I was making it, that's why the intersection zone is so small, compared to the shift values. A drawback to extending the intersection zone is that it appears to create rips and crevasses in the snow. Tricky to edit but, I'm sure you'll carry on doing fine! :)

Goms

yip; i thought about solving this by using some functional voronoi-vector stuff. ;)
the rips are nearly gone after a little bit of redirecting and putting more structure on the snow. but you can still see them ;)

Walli

it´s looking nice and I like the idea. Did you think about doing the motion blur directly in TG? Of course you loose some flexibility and have to plan a lot more, on the other hand the result should be more accurate.
I would also render out as *.exr, as you could do a lot of light/exposure tweaking afterwards.

dandelO

There's no motion blur in TG without the animation parameters, Walli. The camera control only has light exposure settings where the blur parameter would be.

Goms

Yip. I guess i'll make a depth-map and then use this for an accurate motion blur.

here's a version with changes light again; i guess i'll have to work a bit more on the snow surface...

Walli

quote from product description:
QuoteAt the heart of Terragen 2 is an advanced hybrid micropolygon renderer. It is capable of rendering surfaces with extreme procedural displacement and produces images and animations with production quality anti-aliasing and motion blur(*). Procedural or image-based shaders can build complex surfaces from simple objects, relying on the renderer's adaptive subdivision algorithms to dynamically adjust to extreme stretching and creasing.

But probably you are using the standard version and not the one with animation?

I have seen another version, which is of course not very comfortable. You render out several pictures with different camera locations and then merge those pictures. But I think I also would use the depth map way, probably not perfect but should work well enough. I am looking forward

Goms

well, i did a short animation with just a few frames once, and its really a pain without the animation version.

i think a found a pretty nice way to get fluffy snow. ill have to play around with this a little bit, but my guess with using some vector-voronoi stuff wasn't that bad.
image will follow :)

Tangled-Universe

Looking very good!
If you'd like I could render it for you with native motion-blur, piece of cake :)