hi all

j.meyer - here is what there is under the heading 3d geometry setting

fbx
obj
export textures

2d vector formats
svg
postscript

you can do things like change branch width, leaf color variation .no ability to affect internal settings unless noted above
should i continue to post the presets and make new ones

j meyer - been looking for the truck chronor used where is it search under your name failed to find it
david

j meyer

Quote from: folder on October 03, 2014, 02:12:45 PM
should i continue to post the presets and make new ones

As long as the others like them,why not?

As for the truck look through this thread
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17933.msg173659.html#msg173659

otakar

I just watched the promo movie at http://vimeo.com/68195050. How about a tree shaped like this: http://mjfimages.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/surveyors_ridge_7-16-11_50d_004.jpg?w=816&h=540 . Doable in Tree Sketch? Also, when populating leaves, is there an option to populate a specific area only rather than the whole tree (e.g. sick trees)?

yossam

You can always use a PF in the opacity function slot to decimate the leaves.  ;D

Dune

Or a distance shader or distribution shader to cut of the top.

otakar

Yossam and Ulco, really? That works? Actually makes sense and I don't know how I missed that. Will have to experiment. Thanks!

Dune

Everything that is black---white can have an impact, if you feed something with it, like displacement, or opacity. You can, e.g., have trees lose their leaves at certain heights. But do use a transform shader to set the scale to world scale.

jaf

Has anyone here tried  Archipelis?  ( http://www.archipelis.com/home.php )  I was wondering how well it would work to get some basic plant/tree shapes to further work over in a basic modeling or sculpting program.  Probably too many polys.

I tried the demo but it is so crippled it's useless for testing.  It's cheap, so if anyone has the full version, maybe they could test it.  :D
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

Quote from: jaf on October 14, 2014, 12:03:17 PM
Has anyone here tried  Archipelis?  ( http://www.archipelis.com/home.php )  I was wondering how well it would work to get some basic plant/tree shapes to further work over in a basic modeling or sculpting program.  Probably too many polys.

I tried the demo but it is so crippled it's useless for testing.  It's cheap, so if anyone has the full version, maybe they could test it.  :D

Well this looks like a great way to get mock-ups! Based on what I saw though, I don't think you would want to make something like a tree.

actually, in a TG context, this looks like a fast way to get real 3D billboards. Which is kinda contrary, but I think makes sense.
I would like a model to import into my modeling app so I can look at the topology.

It is very cheap! But would like to know more than their website is showing first.
It has been eaten.

jaf

Yes, a tree might be a bit much.  However, something like a saguaro cactus from a photo, to get a basic 3D shape in obj form, to then detail in 3D-Coat or Zbrush -- might work pretty good.  But the darn demo won't save, is limited to something like 4 minutes of work -- or session time (don't remember exactly, but it was a short time) four textures, etc. 

I really don't understand why some developers cripple their demos to the point you can't really test them (especially cheap products that would sell rather easily if they "work".)  I mean this isn't an application that creates an end product (or if it is, you can't tell if it is because you can't output the model to render out and see.)  What it tells me is if they did let you test it properly, it wouldn't be up to par and hence the low price.  So I was hoping someone had tried the full version.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

Well if you search youtube there are a number of videos of people who don't know what they are doing using them in animations. They look really bad. But I suspect that someone who knows what they are doing could make it look good.

I agree with all you wrote. Its one of those things I will save a link to and keep in the back of my mind. May turn out to have some value, maybe not. Eventually we will know for sure.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: folder on October 01, 2014, 04:04:33 PM
ihave tree sketch made a couple of trees. downloaded as obj only choice put the result into tg and the end product was a black outline with some highlights. do i have to convert the object somehow before putting it into tg3. not very experienced if you want i can upload the product from speedtree to the forum and let you guys try

david

I run every thing through PoseRay a free app that outputs the flavour of .obj TG eats....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist