Sub surface scattering again...

Started by Hannes, November 26, 2014, 06:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Good one Dune, must play with that...sorta see where you're going.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Found out that these stripes were caused by the displacement map (for some reason I don't know  :-\)
But this model is so detailed that a displacement map isn't really necessary.
So here is one more comparison. The first one looks quite good, but a bit like a plaster sculpture. The second one is with added translucency and looks way better. The third one is the previous one, but without the diffuse texture to show the pure sub surface scattering look.

To show how it looks on a low res object I assigned the last shader (without the head's depth map of course) to the torus I used for my first post in this thread.
I guess there are several ways to achieve this effect. In my case I used a setup as shown in the image below. The SSS default shader has a Diffuse color value of 0.01, so it's almost black.
In the translucency tab I loaded the head's depth map and used a value of 1400 (!). Without the depth map 200 is appropriate.
The Surface layer that contains the diffuse texture has a coverage of 0.8

Btw, nice ice, Ulco!

Dune

The depth map is probably rather dark grey, hence the large needed translucency. Same with bump, with a dark bump map, you need much higher values to see it appear. It looks good, Hannes. You can now make a model blush (temporary underskin translucency increasement or TUTI)  ;) ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 01, 2014, 09:33:44 AM
The depth map is probably rather dark grey, hence the large needed translucency. Same with bump, with a dark bump map, you need much higher values to see it appear. It looks good, Hannes. You can now make a model blush (temporary underskin translucency increasement or TUTI)  ;) ;)

I make models blush all the time, then they slap my face, hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Sorry for the late response,haven't been online earlier.
Glad you found the solution Hannes.I didn't use the displ map
at all,cause I used the decimated version and knew it needs no
additional map,which is meant for the level 2 and 3 meshes only.
Just in case,here is what I did:the model loads without internal
shader(s) just a red parts shader.So I connected a default shader
to its input,loaded the color map and set the diffuse colour to 1.
Loaded the spec map (reflectivity tab).
Then loaded the depth map in the translucency image slot and
set the translucency color to a red tending to orange.
Set the translucency value to 6 (no joke).
That's all.
Don't have an idea at the moment why you need those high values.

As for testing with a less real model,would a non textured make human
figure be sufficient? Otherwise I/we would need another free model
for that purpose.Any recommendations?

Hannes

Great, Bobby!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jochen, I need to test your setup. Tried to use DandelO's initial method, so I had these high values. Anyway it's funny how we got similar results by using different methods.
I used the decimated version as well, so, as you said, no need for the displacement map.

I'm curious, where this thread leads to. I hope we can discover a lot of mysteries here! ;)

Btw, just finished a GICache session for a tabletop animation of this head turning to see how it looks like, when the light comes from different angles.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on December 01, 2014, 12:24:10 PM
Great, Bobby!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jochen, I need to test your setup. Tried to use DandelO's initial method, so I had these high values. Anyway it's funny how we got similar results by using different methods.
I used the decimated version as well, so, as you said, no need for the displacement map.

I'm curious, where this thread leads to. I hope we can discover a lot of mysteries here! ;)

Btw, just finished a GICache session for a tabletop animation of this head turning to see how it looks like, when the light comes from different angles.

Oh thank you Hannes, I'm curious but no animation in TG3....y think this might work in TG2?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

As far as I remember there are no features used that weren't there in TG 2 as well. Just try it.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on December 01, 2014, 03:51:29 PM
As far as I remember there are no features used that weren't there in TG 2 as well. Just try it.

Giving it a go but at 10 min. a frame even going every 3rd is gonna take a while at 400x400 .6 Detail 6 AA..

EDIT
dialed it back to 300x300 at .4/4 D/AA.....bout 1.6 min per frame. Acceptable on my old box.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Just a thought; as this is frames output it turns out I'll need to assemble them. Times past I did that in seconds in Imagine 3D's Animation editor but that is no longer an option. Guess I'm askin' about a free safely downloadable editor of some kind. Thanks in advance....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well I made an .exe out of it in Irfanview Slideshow  but couldn't get it faster than .5 sec tween frames. If anyone wants I can zip/rar it up and post it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

OK, here's the river that takes ages to render even without water shader of RT reflectivity, only a small portion of glass shader at the (front) sides of the river. I'll think of a faster way... and didn't like the rocks anyway. Central front there's a white patch that comes from the translucency, so it's not a perfect method.

Hannes

Bobby, what about Virtual Dub? As far as I know this (free) program does the job.

Ulco, your river looks great, but I don't think there is a benefit using this shader for surfaces that are quite flat, when it turns out, that it takes ages to render.

Here is a (literally) small movie of the scan head in motion. I think it looks quite nice, but unfortunately his ears are glowing constantly, as if there were lightbulbs inside, so there doesn't seeem to be an influence by things obscuring the areas that are glowing. I'll keep on testing...

Hannes

And here is the iceberg rotating. There's an awful flickering although I used GI caching. :(

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on December 02, 2014, 07:59:51 AM
Bobby, what about Virtual Dub? As far as I know this (free) program does the job.

Ah ha...that's the alternate I had. Haven't compiled an animation for so long I forgot what I had installed on the computers I had stolen. Thanks Hannes.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New