Railtrack

Started by Dune, January 25, 2015, 03:14:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

January 30, 2015, 09:49:36 am #45 Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:52:23 am by Kadri

I tried many things but could only get meh! kinda solutions.
But as i tested it i begun to think that there is a problem with glass node,environment lighting or wherever.
The GI surface detail stage makes it even more apparent in the last phase.

If you look at the image i attached below the 2 images on the left are with the "Enviro Light" node enabled.

The 2 on the right are with the "Enviro light" disabled.

The 2 top images are where your sun is in the original position. The lower images have the sun more from the front.

Without the "Enviro light" node there is no haze!.


Dune

Good thinking, Watson! I did notice that the difference became more apparent as soon as GISD was ready. So it looks like GI is affecting the glass shader, maybe that's a bug?


Dune

Yes, probably just waking up now  ;)


Kadri

January 30, 2015, 11:12:03 am #50 Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:28:08 am by Kadri
By the way this is the meh kinda solution Ulco.

The edges are a little hard because of the opacity-mask as you see.
The problem is still hiding here in the white parts probably.
I used a very bright light to see better how it looks.
Might be useful in different lighting maybe.

Put those two images in the same folder -you know- for easier use.


Dune

It looks quite ok. I tried the opacity with a surface shader and inputting default's opacity from the original mask, so the rest as child on the surface shader. But you get hard edges on the smoke. It's tricky, but it would be wonderful if we could have a very basic 'glass' shader unaffected by render subdiv, refraction, reflection or GI, or whatever, just serving as gradient transparency.

Kadri


Yes some configurations get much more harder edges.
This was the best looking one i could find Ulco.
Might be better ones too of course.

Kadri


Glass surfacing is still harder then it needs to be.

j meyer

Ulco - Why do you use this setup? What is the reason you use the default shader and a
         surface layer? I don't understand the purpose.

Don't want to belittle you guys efforts,just being curious.

Kadri

Quote from: j meyer on January 30, 2015, 01:20:09 pm
...
Don't want to belittle you guys efforts,just being curious.


No harm to ask at all on my part.
I tried your file too in Ulco's last setup for example but it got the haze effect too.
So i had to play with different configurations.

Oshyan

But what you want isn't really glass or how "glass" works in the real world. You're just using the glass shader as a way around the translucency limitation. So what you really want is real non-binary translucency support, correct?

- Oshyan

Matt

It might be GISD - could you try disabling that? GISD uses some amount of image post-processing, so it doesn't work the same in transparency rays (or reflections).

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on January 30, 2015, 07:28:47 pm
But what you want isn't really glass or how "glass" works in the real world...


That wouldn't hurt  :)

Quote from: Oshyan on January 30, 2015, 07:28:47 pm
... You're just using the glass shader as a way around the translucency limitation. So what you really want is real non-binary translucency support, correct?
...


Yes.

Quote from: Matt on January 30, 2015, 07:30:14 pm
It might be GISD - could you try disabling that? GISD uses some amount of image post-processing, so it doesn't work the same in transparency rays (or reflections).
...


Yes looks like that is it Matt.  At least i can't see any haze. Curious how it is on Ulco's side.

Kadri

Quote from: j meyer on January 30, 2015, 01:20:09 pm
Ulco - Why do you use this setup? What is the reason you use the default shader and a
         surface layer? I don't understand the purpose.
...


After reading your post one more time it looked to me as if you asked maybe for a more specific answer.
I used the default shader (most probably like Ulco) to use the opacity feature to get completely rid of the haze parts.