Fractal procedural erosion shader public beta

Started by Daniil, November 15, 2015, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Maybe this is the reason:
At the present it works on Windows only, no OS X version yet.
See first post.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Yes, unfortunately there is no OS X version available yet. Sorry about that.

- Oshyan

mdharrington

just playing with it and wow....nice results but crazy render times.

Is there a way to 'cache' the displacement to use in subsequent renders....or does it use its internal cache as long as there are no changes to the node settings.

Ideally, I would like to write it as a file once the settings are locked....

EDIT: Nevermind....I see it works exactly this way. Still a hard disk cache file would be nice to save a preset ect

Shigawire

Amazing plugin blinkfrog! A true game changer and perhaps the "peak" of burgeoning future possibilities in Terragen.

I have one question: How could I mask the erosion effect to only occur on certain slope degrees?
I am a noob in the dark here, I tried a surface layer with slope limiting but it doesn't seem to mask the erosion.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have PFS input to the Erosion. The same PFS goes to a Distribution Shader with slope constraints. This Distribution Shader feeds the Erosion's mask, with the intent to limit erosion to steeper slopes, while the rest is meant to be the default PFS. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong though.

Daniil

Sorry for my long absence in this thread.

Shigawire, this is possible by using Surface shader as a mask. You can set slope constraints in the surface shader.
I agree this isn't handy. I suppose you want lesser effect on a horizontal surfaces?

mdharrington, I thought about saving cache to HDD to load it with the project. I afraid it will be slow process taking into account cache size.

Sorry jonsta, there is no Mac version yet.

Daniil.

Shigawire

Quote from: blinkfrog on December 14, 2015, 01:32:46 AM
Shigawire, this is possible by using Surface shader as a mask. You can set slope constraints in the surface shader.
I agree this isn't handy. I suppose you want lesser effect on a horizontal surfaces?

Yeah that is what I'm trying to do. Even zero effect on horizontal surfaces. :)
I've already tried using Surface Layer (I think that's what you mean?) but it doesn't mask anything for this.

Dune

You did use a white color in the surface shader?!

AP

Interesting, i was going to post a similar issue about this earlier. Using a Surface layer as a mask with Altitude constraints set to a certain elevation but as many changes were made, i had seen no change what so ever.

Daniil

Quote from: Shigawire on December 14, 2015, 01:53:10 AM
I've already tried using Surface Layer (I think that's what you mean?) but it doesn't mask anything for this.

I just have tried to mask erosion shader by surface layer. And it doesn't work. It is strange, because masking by powerfractal or simple shape shader works fine.

Surface layer outputs a correct mask which I can use everywhere but not for Erosion shader mask. Strange.

Shigawire

Quote from: blinkfrog on December 14, 2015, 02:40:15 AM
Quote from: Shigawire on December 14, 2015, 01:53:10 AM

I just have tried to mask erosion shader by surface layer. And it doesn't work. It is strange, because masking by powerfractal or simple shape shader works fine.

Surface layer outputs a correct mask which I can use everywhere but not for Erosion shader mask. Strange.

All right! Well, glad to have found a bug then. :D

Btw. it also doesn't work with Distribution Shader apparently.

Dune

No difference between final and position in texture? Surface shader may need a compute before it works properly (like blue node 'get...').

Daniil

Quote from: Dune on December 14, 2015, 03:05:54 AM
No difference between final and position in texture? Surface shader may need a compute before it works properly (like blue node 'get...').
Well, surface shader preview displays correct mask.
You can check test tgd.

AP

Adjusting the settings both in Altitude and Slope and no changes.

Dune

I also tested it, but in my own setup and it doesn't work there, but with the compute normal like you have it does seem to work. But only for slopes, not for height. I tried using a displacement to scalar, but that needs some more work to make a soft gradient, and I have no time atm.