Coming to Grips with Bloom

Started by bobbystahr, July 17, 2016, 11:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

I found this Banyon tree online which looked great in the display image but turned out to be a loser when unpacked except for the trunk so I grew some ivies on it and made a swamp as I wanted to play with bloom. This is standard bloom applied cautiously and a wee bit of starburst. C&C welcome...what have y'all found with this new feature. Rendering an Experimental Bloom small test as I type...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

The Bloom is quite the feature. This place seems almost other worldly. The only element that may complete this here is thick mossy shrubs over the stones.

inkydigit

This is awesome Bobby!. The bloom/eb/sb is a cinematic feature here, I think it adds to the moodiness of the scene.... Some moss or other swamp like veggies over the stones and boulders would be great... I like this a lot! :)
J
:)

bobbystahr

Thanks guys , still trying to decide on which of the mosses and lichen to use,,,,great minds and all that...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

I looked into this tree and it's accompanying surroundings so perhaps it may not need to be to complicated of a finished render.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Large+Banyan+Tree&t=h&iar=images&iax=1&ia=images

bobbystahr

Cool, doesn't really seem to be a swamp tree but it looks good so I;m gonna decide on some moss now....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Great image, Bobby. Yes, lots of moss over the rocks, deep green, a bit of wetness. With tiny fake stones you can get quite far, I think.

DocCharly65

I like it very much so far.

Some more details like moss and little stones as you and the others already told and it will even be better.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 18, 2016, 02:23:30 AM
Great image, Bobby. Yes, lots of moss over the rocks, deep green, a bit of wetness. With tiny fake stones you can get quite far, I think.

As I'm colour disabled could you send me a PF with the green tones you'd suggest please and thanks you very much/
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

ajcgi

I'm amazed how great your images look considering this.
The fun part for a lot of people will be resisting turning bloom up to 11, then adding dirt on the lens ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: ajcgi on July 18, 2016, 12:36:36 PM
I'm amazed how great your images look considering this.
The fun part for a lot of people will be resisting turning bloom up to 11, then adding dirt on the lens ;)

Thanks for the compliment.
And you've tried this(dirt on lens)? How'd it work?; I've thought of it as I was able to do this in Imagine3D to great effect.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

ajcgi

Yeah I've done lots of space documentary stuff over the years, mostly when I was a semi-permanent feature at Lola in London. The muck on the lens, scratches, extra flares, camera shake, and indeed assembly of render layers, was always Nuke. We'd often add fake chromatic abherration too. We'd try to keep things subtle, but if the rest of the shot was dull it needed extra VFX jazz, ie turn it all on and up to 11.  ;D ;D

bobbystahr

Quote from: ajcgi on July 18, 2016, 12:54:53 PM
Yeah I've done lots of space documentary stuff over the years, mostly when I was a semi-permanent feature at Lola in London. The muck on the lens, scratches, extra flares, camera shake, and indeed assembly of render layers, was always Nuke. We'd often add fake chromatic abherration too. We'd try to keep things subtle, but if the rest of the shot was dull it needed extra VFX jazz, ie turn it all on and up to 11.  ;D ;D

Heh heh, you misunderstand...I was curious if you'd tried it in TG....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well with Ulco's help I think the big rocks are much better. Uses Moss 1 & 3 from the More Mosses from AP if memory serves me.
Pushing 4 hours render time but in 3.4 it'd be 10+ I'm fairly certain. This may be a final, I tend to get bored when it looks like I want
and it does that now. Still, C&C welcome....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New