Nebulae

Started by Denis Sirenko, July 26, 2017, 07:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Quote from: archonforest on July 25, 2018, 04:01:25 PM
Technically you can upscale the image in PS without destroying the details. I have a method that works for me. Drop the image into PS and change the document size from 100 percent to 110 percent. Make sure you upscale only by 10 percent. Then repeat the same with 10 percent again and again. For some reason if you try to use bigger percentages the PS will destroy the details. Not sure why but this 10 percent steps worked for me several times. You might need to pump up the dpi settings also if it low.

That sounds mighty interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Dune

That's indeed good to know. I already knew that you should never use fractions of percentages.

WAS

Technically you can upscale the image in PS without destroying the details. I have a method that works for me. Drop the image into PS and change the document size from 100 percent to 110 percent. Make sure you upscale only by 10 percent. Then repeat the same with 10 percent again and again. For some reason if you try to use bigger percentages the PS will destroy the details. Not sure why but this 10 percent steps worked for me several times. You might need to pump up the dpi settings also if it low.

I tried on this document, and recorded the method I used. The document DPI was set to 300 like a lot of print. The result seemed blurrier than using a regular resize with settings set for "Bicubic Smoother (Best for enlargement)".

Here is the action of what I did. Upscsale is 200% from original resolution.

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 25, 2018, 01:53:47 PM
Maybe pitch the idea for promotional posters? I see the game is working partly of community action, perhaps that could play to your advantage. I know I'm already interested in the game myself, and would love to support it if I could. A poster campaign may help with sales as well as interest just cause of the nature of the mesmerizing high quality posters reaching out further than the initial game audience, and subsequently who they share their new poster with.

I try not to interfere with the strategy of promoting our game. Yes, I understand that there are people who are ready to support the project now. Thanks for the willingness, WAS. I can only say that my management adheres to the strategy of unexpected appearance, and the development is quiet and as long as we need it. Those graphic materials that are already on the web are not published on the game resources specifically.

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 25, 2018, 01:53:47 PM
The relatively low cost of 3rd party poster producers these days probably wouldn't require much effort. There are even some on-demand retailers still out there that work based on individual sales of a poster.
I had one of my first "good" renders in TG printed when I was younger. Due to resolution limitations it's more a post card but I was super proud to see it physical.

At my workplace there is not a single poster with my nebula hanging). Although it would be interesting to see it live.

Yes! I tried it yesterday, and it really works. Thank you for the tip! On the GIF, the comparison of a x3 increase by 110% and a single increase by 133%. (Sorry Was, but I made this test before I saw your experiment, so I publish it.)

[attachimg=1]

However, I think Sjefen will not be enough. He does not need to save small details when upscaling, but to get new small details with rendering a much larger size.

WAS

Wonder why it's blurrier on my PS. Using PS filter for enlargement bicubic smooth works better than that method. I didn't do just 133% though, did double size at 200%.

Can someone run that recording I made in their PS and post results??

Hannes

Although this is really interesting, shouldn't we create a new thread about that to not misuse Denis's initial thread?

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: Hannes on July 28, 2018, 05:42:31 AM
Although this is really interesting, shouldn't we create a new thread about that to not misuse Denis's initial thread?

I'm afraid that a discussion of the functionality of other software as special thread may not be very appropriate on the forum, definitely not sure.

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 27, 2018, 02:44:58 PM
Wonder why it's blurrier on my PS. Using PS filter for enlargement bicubic smooth works better than that method. I didn't do just 133% though, did double size at 200%.
Can someone run that recording I made in their PS and post results??

Perhaps this is because an increase of 110% you also did using resampling "bicubic smoother". The mode "automatic" with a step-by-step increase of 110% better preserves the details.

In any case, there is a way even better, and it can even help Sjefen. This is the resample mode "preserve details 2.0". Tthere is in my version of Photoshop CC 2018, in which this feature first appeared. It allows you to perform a significant increasing image size without losing small details.

sjefen

Too bad I don't have Photoshop.
Only Lightroom and GIMP  :'(
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Denis Sirenko

sjefen

Thanks. I will  ;)
You just keep posting awesome renders of nebulas  ;D
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Denis Sirenko

Denis Sirenko

Just for fun. Searching for a suitable amount of glowing gas (red).

[attachimg=1]

Denis Sirenko

Search for the second cloud layer (green).

[attachimg=1]

Dune

It's like a heart or artery, fascinating.