Steampunk Project

Started by Agura Nata, July 19, 2018, 02:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agura Nata

It's time for me to open my own steampunk thread, because the topic is now bigger than expected :)

It all started when I had recently reviewed my old Blender work and found these gauges.

I am fascinated by old things such as motors, measuring devices that still have real pointers or rusty materials, it may well be due to the influences of my work as a machinist and later as a technical draftsman in mechanical engineering.
I've always liked the smell of coolant and oil on the machines and the pounding and vibrating. There were almost no CNC or NC machines and I still did my training on old lathes, milling machines and planing benches without electronics.
"Live and Learn!"

Agura Nata

First, I started with pipes, which you always need :)

Here were the materials of "Hannes a great solution"

Something is regulated here and there on the Nodes and you can adjust this material great. I still work on a combination with my materials.
"Live and Learn!"

Agura Nata

It took some time to adapt the old gauge and develop a new one, but patience pays off and gauges are very important :)
"Live and Learn!"

Agura Nata

Since I used to like to work with letters in Blender or Vue 2016, I decided to design a floating steampunk object that consisted mainly of modified letters in Blender.
There were some difficulties with the conversion to mesh, but with remesh there were again nice surfaces.
"Live and Learn!"

Agura Nata

With the "Janosch Gravisphere" a big step of the project has been made, the instruments and tubes are missing, but that is yet to come.

Janosch" was an ingenious visionary and inventor from the abstract land of the fractals "Orakum".
Surreal vehicles and objects were his favorites.
https://www.deviantart.com/agura-nata/art/floating-Jandosch-Ark-746611420
"Live and Learn!"

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

KlausK

That is a interesting thread.
As I wrote in the "New Life Terragen training Event" thread I would be really interested in some pointers to modeling for Terragen.
Anything one has to take care of before exporting from the 3D app. Like polycount, size, doesanddont`s and texturing.
The instruments you did here are very nice. Mine so far look rather lowres even after exporting my hires model as *.obj.
If you ever find the time to get a little bit more into detail overthose things, I`d very much appreciate it.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Agura Nata

Quote from: KlausK on July 19, 2018, 01:03:29 PM
That is a interesting thread.
As I wrote in the "New Life Terragen training Event" thread I would be really interested in some pointers to modeling for Terragen.
Anything one has to take care of before exporting from the 3D app. Like polycount, size, doesanddont`s and texturing.
The instruments you did here are very nice. Mine so far look rather lowres even after exporting my hires model as *.obj.
If you ever find the time to get a little bit more into detail overthose things, I`d very much appreciate it.
CHeers, Klaus

Thank you much Klaus!

It is important to convert everything in mesh and then check the surfaces in editmode. Many modifiers can only be applied to mesh. Important double remove!
If the surfaces do not look good, I'll use the Remesh modifier.

In general, make everything in Editmode a UV processing, new objects is recommended, except for Sphere.

For export and UV apply all modifiers from top to bottom.

If an object is wrong, it's dark in Terragen's window. Often the nodes are downgraded and connected, reloading the object or checking in Blender if the nornals are correct.
if an object is loaded in TG, do not subsequently add new materials in Blender, otherwise reload and connect the object.

It has happened to me several times in TG of two identical objects, an object has remained dark, because only in Blender helps to delete the relevant part and copy, re-export. The re-loading of the Obj file is now even easier in TG 2.2.10 through the reload field

Infos: DA
https://www.deviantart.com/agura-nata/gallery/63457792/Wips

Digital Art Live:
https://issuu.com/tosk/docs/digital_art_live_issue_26/50
"Live and Learn!"

Agura Nata

floating energy meter in Blender 2.79

For my steampunk project "Jandosch Gravisphere" I need a measuring device that displays the floating energy. The energy is generated by fractals and the strength must be measured and regulated to ensure a steady optimal flow.

This device works with a Menger fractal and by the occurring interference pattern to the fractal saturated ground of Orakum and Yurkanti the current energy balance of the necessary floating energy can be displayed.
The description of my meter was influenced by:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/watch/06ab813e484da68dc144b8a8b0ca6ee0/

The tube will be made of glass, inside which is a spring and an object for display, guided by a rod in the middle.

I have attached pictures of Orakum and Yurkanti:
"Live and Learn!"

Agura Nata

floating energy instrument

Objects were designed in Blender, Mandelbulb 3D mesh export.
Material and render In Terragen 4.2.10

To measure fractal levitation energy through interference patterns between different fractal energy sources in Orakum and Yurkanti.
"Live and Learn!"

KlausK

Thanks for the remarks. I`ll have a go sometime.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

luvsmuzik

Again. great!

Did you manage to create a procedural gradient? That metallic gold/red is awesome! :) Great opacity masking on lower glass tube!

Agura Nata

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 22, 2018, 07:03:41 PM
Again. great!

Did you manage to create a procedural gradient? That metallic gold/red is awesome! :) Great opacity masking on lower glass tube!

Thank you much!

I've paired the glass sader with powerfractal shaders and Image shader at the inputs to give a little more contrast to the glass.

Here at the screenshot of Blender you can see that over the glass cylinder the parts are pushed, also the rings I have occupied with copper Matrial in TG.:
"Live and Learn!"

WAS

Quote from: Dragonfire on July 23, 2018, 04:53:48 AM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 22, 2018, 07:03:41 PM
Again. great!

Thank you much!

I've paired the glass sader with powerfractal shaders and Image shader at the inputs to give a little more contrast to the glass.

Here at the screenshot of Blender you can see that over the glass cylinder the parts are pushed, also the rings I have occupied with copper Matrial in TG.:

Not sure if it's just the angle on the very first image you showed of this, but I think it would be intriguing and cool if the brass/copper condensation pipes like things coming off the object crossed each other paths, as if there is some fort of method to crossing the pipes in the physics/functionality of the part.

When I first saw that first image couple posts back I thought they crossed and it gave me all sorts of crazy ideas about those really old atmospheric measuring devices that use condensation and such and brass/copper pipes.