FEATURE REQUESTS

Started by rolland1013, October 03, 2018, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Yes, but that just rotates. The scale=-1 is the trick, and it's good to know for pops of say cows.

René

Besides sculpting, which is number 1 on my wish list, the possibility to load two TG documents at the same time. I know, you can load a second document into an older version of TG and I do that a lot, but it doesn't always work properly because some functions are missing in the older version and the nodes often become detached. This would be a real time saver, at least for me, because I often copy nodes from older iterations to the new one.

As far as sculpting is concerned: that' s already possible with the painted shader but it's so complicated that it doesn't pay off.

icarus51

Hi.

Quote from: rolland1013 on October 03, 2018, 03:03:29 PM

Is there a general feature request discussion on the forum?  If not I'd like to start one.  Here's my wishes for future versions of Terragen:

1. An interactive sculpt tool for shaping terrain.
2. Erosion controls - similar to World Machine.
3. FBX and/or Alembic import ability.
4. Import ROTATION offset for importing animated cameras.
5. V-Ray shader support.
6. Realistic water animation
7. More water types; i.e. ocean, lake, stream, river, rapids, waterfall, etc.

Thanks

I add these: atmospheric optics effects - rainbows, halos, iridescence, corona, sun pillars, distorsion/mirage sun and moon near horizon.
Greetings to all.

Matt

Quote from: René on February 05, 2019, 04:32:28 AM
the possibility to load two TG documents at the same time. I know, you can load a second document into an older version of TG and I do that a lot, but it doesn't always work properly because some functions are missing in the older version and the nodes often become detached. This would be a real time saver, at least for me, because I often copy nodes from older iterations to the new one.

On Windows you can open multiple instances of the same application, and on Mac OS you can too, I believe, but there's some trick which I don't remember as I'm not really a Mac user.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

penboack

On MacOS the following Terminal Command may be used to open multiple instances of Terragen, in this example Terragen 4.

open -n "/Applications/Terragen 4/Terragen 4.app"

bobbystahr

Quote from: René on February 05, 2019, 04:32:28 AM
Besides sculpting, which is number 1 on my wish list, the possibility to load two TG documents at the same time. I know, you can load a second document into an older version of TG and I do that a lot, but it doesn't always work properly because some functions are missing in the older version and the nodes often become detached. This would be a real time saver, at least for me, because I often copy nodes from older iterations to the new one.

As far as sculpting is concerned: that' s already possible with the painted shader but it's so complicated that it doesn't pay off.

Still, though clunky, you get amazing results..I'd like a tutorial on "Sculpting With Painted Shaders" myself....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

OK, since we're blue-skying this . . . my request would be for true object references.

When you place a tgo, the mesh is referenced but the shading network is incorporated into the tgd. Which is nice if you want to tweak the shaders in the main scene. But if you make any substantial changes to the tgo's shading group names or network, the links get broken and you have to delete and replace the tgo in the main file. Sometimes you can manually edit the shading network, but either way with multiple tgos and populations it can get a little tedious.

Referenced objects would encapsulate the mesh, shading groups, and their internal shading networks. Any changes would be made to the original tgo and would appear by explicitly refreshing the tgo or by reloading the main scene.

Perhaps a new file type could be specified ("tgr"?) so that these objects could be used alongside regular tgos.

RichTwo

Maybe only the oldtimer Terragen Classic users remember a feature of the Animation / Scripts feature which sadly was dropped with T2 and subsequent releases: Button 9.
It just hasn't been the same without it...
They're all wasted!

Dune

bobbystahr

ha ha ha,,,tanks fer da mem'ry
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

René

Quote from: Matt on February 06, 2019, 01:46:26 AM
On Windows you can open multiple instances of the same application, and on Mac OS you can too, I believe, but there's some trick which I don't remember as I'm not really a Mac user.
I was not aware of that. I'm going to try it. Thanks for the tip!

René

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 07, 2019, 10:13:18 AM
Still, though clunky, you get amazing results..I'd like a tutorial on "Sculpting With Painted Shaders" myself....

Here you go!

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: René on February 09, 2019, 11:26:27 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 07, 2019, 10:13:18 AM

Here you go!

Painted shader 01 under the Terrain group shows a little hump, but why are the Painted Shaders 02 03 and 04 in the Shaders group just all black?  I zoom way in and can't find any sign of something painted.  I find this to be the case a lot in Terragen (no visual feedback).  Especially with Blue Nodes.

So how can an all black Painted shader being used as a mask produce the additional extruded bumps on the main terrain bump?

Derek

René

I renamed some of the nodes so hopefully it will be a bit clearer. Once you displaced a painted shader, it may not be visible anymore. Projection is set to 3D.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Thanks René!  Now I see what you are doing.  I hadn't used the Painted shader in a long time and forgot you could directly paint in the 3D viewport on the terrain, so I was looking for signs of painting in the shader preview pop-up window.  It is odd to me that nothing shows up in the shader preview, and hence this brings us back to a Feature Request!  I would like a Shader Preview window that lets you Pan and Zoom so your not just stuck zooming into the origin.  There have been many instances where I have needed to zoom into something in the shader preview but I couldn't get close enough because as you zoom in the area I wanted to see gets cut off by the edges of the preview and you can't pan on over or pick a different zoom in point.

Derek