Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Harvey and everyone, thanks for your comments.  What I'm concerned about is that Matt and Jo might be two of a larger group of programmers out there somewhere who can actually do what Planetside is doing, but I only know about Planetside.  If you'll let me know who else might be letting the customer base get in at this level on such a uniquely programmed product, then I'll get involved. 

If not, I'm waiting on Planetside to do this well without mistakes, which might take extra time.  If I find out that Planetside is screwing with us and really do not mean business, I will deal with that.  I don't think they are.

Matt and Jo, I'm trusting that you're giving this TG2 your best (as well as are all of the testers and PR people) and hope to see a brilliant package someday.  Hope it's sooner rather than later.  I'm also interested in someday being able to work with an SDK.   
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nikita

Quote from: calico on April 26, 2008, 07:09:13 PM
I only know about Planetside.  If you'll let me know who else might be letting the customer base get in at this level on such a uniquely programmed product, then I'll get involved.
http://sourceforge.net   ;) I guess you'll find some unique projects among the 175.000 hosted there.

rcallicotte

I've been there, nikita.  Know of any like this one?

I'll look again, nevertheless.

nikita

Heh.. there are many Open Source projects that are absolutely unique. Just think of Linux. The project that's most like TG2 is probably Blender. :)
But I'm not trying to start a fight. Just couldn't resist to counter your argument  ;D

I guess if you consider commercial projects, which is probably what you meant anyway, there aren't many that are like TG2.

rcallicotte

Oh, hey, I'm not fighting.  Everything's cool.   8)  I'm looking.  This one seems pretty interesting - http://sourceforge.net/projects/saga-gis

Cyber-Angel

The Pro Rota of this thread is now well beyond its intended use indeed the rational is becoming hard to understand as to precisely what people want, but the factions here now seem roughly divided into two camps.

It would seem now that Planetside, no matter what they do weather it is right, wrong or indifferent until the Beta and the final gold release are simply not going to be allowed to catch a break or even come up for air until such time as people get what they what; what are we may I ask Grownups or Toddlers at kinder garden?

Assuming, that the critique of the situation is some where near the truth or at least the perceived version of the truth form any one individuals point of view, one can therefore say about the arguments presented thus far (The sum total of posts to this thread) when surmised together dose or dose not present the whole unified version of the truth only fragments of it.

Uncertainty brings discontent, it is discontent then that is by and large that seems to be the real issue here; that is to say people by and large like control when they feel out of control or they feel they have little if any control (Like software release schedules) this frightens them and in this state they react in ways that under different conditions they would not, this is a physiological condition designed to protect people form harm, either from some thing in their environment or form self action.

Many people have pre-paid for their license I am one, OK so whats all the hubbub, whats it, I said whats it all about son? To my mind no amount of flag waving , shouting from high rooftops or lobbying here is going to get this product out the door any quicker: now that may go down like a lead balloon or incur gowns from the peanut gallery, but heres the thing please accept that what people want and what they get are two separate things and that sooner or latter that the object of your desires will be yours, just not yet.

All that aside every one has their point to make and I've made mine...Hope thats crystal?

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel                   

Mohawk20

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on April 27, 2008, 02:02:33 AM
To my mind no amount of flag waving , shouting from high rooftops or lobbying here is going to get this product out the door any quicker: now that may go down like a lead balloon...               

Actually, the Mythbusters have busted that expression, because they have made lead baloon that goes up  :P

Anyways, I don;t think anyone is right or wrong, that's what oppinions are for...
so when I said to Harvey not to follow this thread, I was wrong, because as CA just pointed out, what is the use of this thread? It's set up so we can spill out guts abou twhat we think about the delay.
So I owe you an appology Harvey, I'm sorry.
Howgh!

cyphyr

Well what an amusing thread we have here. ;)
It seems that for all the vitriol we have here its just evidance of the fact that a lot of people (some more vocal than others, of which I sometimes include myself ;) ) care deeply about Terragen, what it once was, what it is now and what it may become. Its difficult sometimes to keep in mind that Planetside are a TINY company and it would be unfair to expect them to act like a larger established software developer. Indeed we get far closer contact with the guys at the sharp end than is commonly to be expected. Remember when the last update came out, the obj smoothing isue was sorted within 4 days!

Another important thing to remember is that we have a direct effect on the performance of the Planetside staff. If we spend a lot of time slagging them off and generally bringing them down and complaining that dose not create an enviroment condusive to excelance.

Lay off the complaints and winging, it makes people sad :(
Lay on the praise and thanks, it makes people happy :)

I've ben at much at fault as anyone else here but I will try to restrain my feedback to the constreuctive in the future.

keep up the good work

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

Quote from: lightning on April 25, 2008, 06:51:26 PM
a serious question ;D
how do you sign up for the planet side newsletter?
or do you just get it it automatically if you buy terragen 2 deep

will the new build be sent to everyone who as bought terragen 2 deep?

If you checked "subscribe to receive announcements" when you purchased online, you are on our list. In any case, you can send an email to terragen@planetside.co.uk asking to be added to our list. If you're using a different email to the one given when you purchased, please let us know so that we can update our database.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mohawk20

I just got the e-mail with the update download link, and I'm installing it now!!

Thanks guys!
Howgh!

zionner

joshbakr

Yeah, I just got mine and downloaded the msi. Have to install later though.  Thanks Planetside!  This should hold me for a while.  :)

adit

I've installed it, but it seems that it's still only using a single core. I've got a core 2 quad processor (will check exactly which model if you guys want it).

Mohawk20

Quote from: adit on April 28, 2008, 05:11:15 PM
I've installed it, but it seems that it's still only using a single core. I've got a core 2 quad processor (will check exactly which model if you guys want it).

If I remember Matt's explanation correctly, if it doesn't detect the cores correctly, you would be able to set the amount of cores in the preferences/settings screen...
Howgh!