Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

a serious question ;D
how do you sign up for the planet side newsletter?
or do you just get it it automatically if you buy terragen 2 deep

will the new build be sent to everyone who as bought terragen 2 deep?

bobbystahr

I'd like to add my Thanks to Matt et al for the obvious mounds of work they've already put into this update. To me, it addresses issues I never knew I had and now they'll be fixed before I notice...LOL...thanx again man.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

rcallicotte

I think if you received your license via email, you should be on Planetside's email list.

Quote from: lightning on April 25, 2008, 06:51:26 PM
a serious question ;D

will the new build be sent to everyone who as bought terragen 2 deep?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Jo,

looking at that list again - a special "public" thanks to you as well! I know you've dealt with most of the new UI features, and in my eyes, these new improvements and enhancements to the UI - however small or large - together make TG2 much more easy to use than before.

Cheers,
Frank

bertrand

This deeply disappointed early purchaser may fire up TG2 again next week for the first time in a year...

matrix2003

"stability issues"  -Hell Ive had those for years!  ::)
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: matrix2003 on April 26, 2008, 11:57:17 AM
"stability issues"  -Hell Ive had those for years!  ::)

:D   :D  Ahhh... a soul brother.

Quote from: bertrand on April 26, 2008, 11:25:21 AM
This deeply disappointed early purchaser may fire up TG2 again next week for the first time in a year...

Thank you, Bertrand. Any more of the unending syrup and I think I'd puke. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like the stream of brainless adulation in this thread. You'd think these people were being paid for the honor of using the product, rather than paying for a product that's never delivered.

I mean think about it. There had been no word about a planned release in the next week until a few of us raised hell here in the forum. I seriously doubt if the release would have happened at all had it not been for that pressure. And now that we've been told that a buggy, unfinished version MAY appear, months behind schedule and far from finished, the customers who've been burned seem to be, as a body, engaged in idol worship with the organization that has broken trust with them.

Get a grip, people.

rcallicotte

@Harvey - While I understand despising the art of ass-kissing, I'd say "brainless" is a bit much.  After thinking about it, it's obvious not many people out there are doing what Matt and Jo have done already.  The recent changes are forgiveable, as a programmer.  What I'd hate is if Planetside released a piece of crap to us and called it good.  That hasn't happened in this case (we're still at the Alpha stage...not even Beta) and I'd bet money that the end result 2.0 will be solid.  It would be a terrible blow, if Planetside let such confidence go to hell.

What I paid for was an Alpha release, which was made clear to me before I purchased.  That list that we just read from Matt was a privilege that none of us have a right to demand to see.  They could have told us two years ago to wait for the final release and we'd still be waiting or burning through the bugs of Vue without hands-on.  So I'm grateful I'm getting in on this and grateful that I have learned about another programmer's process. 

I could care less if someone thinks I'm kissing up.  I've programmed enough to know that this doesn't happen every day.  What does happen every day is the burgeoning pile of shit bunch of software that is churned out from here to China that frustrates customers who never see the promised end result and can't get refunded.  I wholeheartedly believe that such nonsense won't happen to Planetside's end users.  This isn't from lack of experience or being a young kiss-ass.  It's from being around enough to see that what Planetside is saying clearly in writing they will do, they will do. 

Of course, on the other hand (trying to be fair, since I know you're a logical person), I'd rather have the 1.0 version in my hands right now along with good object support.  But, I can wish in one hand and piss in the other and see which one dries out first.   ;D 

If it sounds like I took what you said personally, I did. 

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Sorry if I've offended you but I'm not about to retract anything I said.

If you find you're personally offended, perhaps it's because you're investing a bit too much of yourself in Planetside's defense.

Mohawk20

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 26, 2008, 12:11:59 PM

Thank you, Bertrand. Any more of the unending syrup and I think I'd puke. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like the stream of brainless adulation in this thread. You'd think these people were being paid for the honor of using the product, rather than paying for a product that's never delivered.

I mean think about it. There had been no word about a planned release in the next week until a few of us raised hell here in the forum. I seriously doubt if the release would have happened at all had it not been for that pressure. And now that we've been told that a buggy, unfinished version MAY appear, months behind schedule and far from finished, the customers who've been burned seem to be, as a body, engaged in idol worship with the organization that has broken trust with them.

Get a grip, people.

Okay, I understand you might not agree with me if I respect the guys from Planetside. That doesn't mean I agree with you terminology. I'm not worshipping them, because I know they are diffinately not perfect. They made mistakes in PR, and aren't that good in running a business. However, I do want to take it up for them, because they may not have the time to do so themselves while working hard to finish YOUR product as soon as possible.

They are great programmers. So I paid for the software, but I think it's commendable that there will also be a free version that will produce the same photorealistic quality!

But it comes down to this: we can talk about this another 40 pages, but if you're not statisfied with the product or the service, then delete your registry key, and ask for a refund (in no particular order). But quit whining about it...
Howgh!

Harvey Birdman

So you're officially entitled to offer refunds on Planetside's behalf?

I'll tell you what. Since you object to my publicly holding Planetside to account for their broken promises, I suggest you do without the upcoming release, like Calico. The only reason it's being released is because I and others bitched; if the bitching is so objectionable to you, you shouldn't use the update.

Moose

Thanks for all the hard work Planetside. :)

nikita

a serious question ;D
On the page were you bought your key, there was a check box that let you chose whether or not to receive announcements via e-mails. But in reality, e-mails are sent and received by planetside at random  ;D (there are problems with the mailing system)

Concerning syrup & brainless drooling:
One has to distinguish between a) understanding planetside's excuses and b) accepting them. I think Matt and Jo do their best and I understand that switching to multithreading etc. wasn't a trivial task. But excuses don't make everything alright all of a sudden! Mistakes have been made and in fact we still suffer from them as the final release is still far, far away.

So I think there might be a misunderstanding here.. calico's talking about a, HB talking about b.

btw: We don't even have the release yet. I know it's only a few days of waiting, but we've been here before.

Mohawk20

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 26, 2008, 04:04:12 PM
So you're officially entitled to offer refunds on Planetside's behalf?

I'll tell you what. Since you object to my publicly holding Planetside to account for their broken promises, I suggest you do without the upcoming release, like Calico. The only reason it's being released is because I and others bitched; if the bitching is so objectionable to you, you shouldn't use the update.

Look, I congratulate you, I THANK YOU, I kneel before you, because you got Planetside to give us the alpha now. *Bows* *que massive applause*

Dude, this is Planetside HQ, this is THE fan base. We are the groupies. So we are blind to mistakes our beloved stars make, but love them for their hard work. You, dear Harvey, are the only sane person out here. So what are you doing here? You don't belong here... you have way to much sanity and logic to be among us fools.

Seriously, we may praise Planetside too much for what they do, and you are probably right to complain about their broke promises and stuff, but I don't think you're making a lot of friends by insulting all of us and calling names. If you get sick of all the praise (and perhaps a wee bit jealous), then don't follow this thread.
I BEG YOU, please try to be a bit more diplomatic a bout your choice of words, before this thread get's locked for improper behaviour.

(And for the record, I didn't offer you a refund, I just preposed you ask for one, you might get lucky...)

You are allowed to Bitch, and we really are gratefull for the public alpha, so thank you.
But not everyone appreciates being Bitched on. So there is a time for Bitching, and a time for nice talk.
Let's go for the nice talk for a few pages, before continuing the Bitching.
Howgh!

lightning

Quote from: nikita on April 26, 2008, 05:12:02 PM
a serious question ;D
On the page were you bought your key, there was a check box that let you chose whether or not to receive announcements via e-mails. But in reality, e-mails are sent and received by planetside at random  ;D (there are problems with the mailing system)

thanks ;D

@ calico mind your language  >:(