Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Quote from: neuspadrin on June 23, 2008, 01:41:41 PM
any news on a tp4 or beta? I don't care if it doesn't fix anything but the memory leak, just a patch to that would make me quite happy...... 

I agree, it's about time we had a fix for this issue.
What I don't understand is when Matt announced the Jan 4th release back in December last year, Planetside must have known about the memory leak and other problems (and if not why not).
So why are we still waiting?
One forced (by users) update to TP3 is not good enough. The problem reported last Jan 4th which would take " a few weeks" has now taken nearly 6 months, and still no word from Planetside. Not even a progress report, despite repeated requests for such by users. OK so Oshyan has mentioned that certain issues have been fixed but this has only been as part of some other post and with no indication of when an update or God forbid an actual beta will be available.
Yet again, come on Planetside get your act together.

Tangled-Universe

I haven't responded in this thread for a while and as far as I can remember I have never complained about PS's strategy and promises, but now when I see some reflections of my thoughts I felt I had to jump in as well...

I completely agree with KevnF about the memoryleak.
TP3 was known to be tested by a group of alpha-testers before its release. I can't imagine the memoryleak hasn't been noticed by these experienced users.
At least, I think that's what the group of alpha-testers consists of?

I also agree about the "a few weeks" issue stated by Kevin. It's nearly 6 months later and I remember a post from Matt a couple of weeks ago that the beta would be available "in a couple of weeks".

It has taken way long enough and also features like SSS have been post-poned so the end-product already differs from the roadmap.

An idea I had sometime is why doesn't Planetside look for an extra developer/programmer to join the team? It could/would speed-up the process pretty much and yes I know employees are expensive but a sooner release would probably have payed back itself pretty quick?
I also have the feeling sometimes that Planetside beside DD, with their vast knowledge of terrain-visualisation, is also busy in the 'consultancy' field and if so that that extra work holds up the development?

Revenant

yeah,

release the damn fix for the memory leak, couldn't be so hard. or do you like to fu.. your customers?

Hard words, but i think they are needed now.
I do not have patience forever.

you don't can fool your customers forever.
for me personal i give a sh.. about any promises, release announcements etc.. planetside makes.
it has just no sense to wait for.

this is a classical "when it's done" company.

I purchased the deep+animation version. but what for? i want real animation tools and NOT JUST IN 3 Years or so.

Maybe that gives you the chance to think about....

sjefen

Quote from: Revenant on June 23, 2008, 04:32:12 PMI purchased the deep+animation version. but what for?

Well..... you got it cheap at least ;)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Revenant

yeah, at least. >:(

i'm just a bit frustrated. i recently continue to use tg after a long break and some things are disturbing me.

i also think that bad things should also be said. ;-) Or is this like renderosity? Where critics are allowed, but they have to be good :D

I don't hope so and i don't think so.

nikita

Indeed. It looks a bit like Planetside tries to fool the customers and while I don't think that is actually the case, statements like this
QuoteThe length of the delay is uncertain, but should be no more than a few weeks. [...] Until recently we had every reason to believe that the Beta would be ready on time.
from January now sound like a lie.

jo

Hi,

I believe the memory leak came from something added close to the TP3 release and it then did not get tested as thoroughly as it should have been because, well, it's a similar situation to now really.

The TP4 release is currently being tested by alpha testers as a release candidate. Another fairly important issue has been addressed since that release candidate, so there may be another testing phase before it's released. I'm not going to say when that will be available until we know for certain, suffice to say we won't be releasing this one before we feel it has been sufficiently tested.

Regards,

Jo

Zylot

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jo on June 23, 2008, 07:08:09 PM
Hi,

I believe the memory leak came from something added close to the TP3 release and it then did not get tested as thoroughly as it should have been because, well, it's a similar situation to now really.

The TP4 release is currently being tested by alpha testers as a release candidate. Another fairly important issue has been addressed since that release candidate, so there may be another testing phase before it's released. I'm not going to say when that will be available until we know for certain, suffice to say we won't be releasing this one before we feel it has been sufficiently tested.

Regards,

Jo

What kind of issue if I may ask?
These are questions which always come into my mind generally when I read things get postponed etc.

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 24, 2008, 02:13:16 AM
These are questions which always come into my mind generally when I read things get postponed etc.

The problem was with loading files in some components when the file is using a project relative path. If you read it again, I said the issue had been addressed, which is the another way to say it has been fixed. I also suggested there might be a postponement due to there being another testing phase required for the fix.

Now, if I had said that a fairly important issue had been identified then that would mean that it still needed to be fixed and that could lead to a postponement as it might be hard to track down. That's not what I said. I think if you actually read what I wrote then everything should have been pretty clear. There is no reading between the lines needed there, I said exactly what the situation was.

Regards,

Jo

Kevin F

Quote from: jo on June 24, 2008, 02:29:03 AM
Hi,

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 24, 2008, 02:13:16 AM

That's not what I said. I think if you actually read what I wrote then everything should have been pretty clear. There is no reading between the lines needed there, I said exactly what the situation was.

Regards,

Jo

Don't make matters worse Jo by replying to a very reasonable question in such a manner. i.e. "That's not what I said." ?? what's not what you said?
or
"I think if you actually read what I wrote......." The Guy did and just asked a simple question, since what you said was not "pretty clear" i.e. what the issue was.

I still can't believe that a product promised in Dec for release in Jan STILL is not ready 6 months later. But hey I have to! since PS has my money.
It would be interesting to see what the UK Office of Fair Trading has to say with regards to selling goods in the UK on future promises that don't materialise. Within the sale of goods act the phrase "reasonably acceptable period" would no doubt be a critical point, and any judgements would be in the customers favour.

Moose

My reply to all the doubters is this:

Why would PS be sitting on TG2 and losing money everyday. Oh it's to scam the earlier adopters, right?

C'mon guys - get real! Just because Santa didn't bring you what you wanted in time for Xmas is no reason to act like unreasonable, demanding kids who throw fits whenever they don't get what the want. Look what happened last time demands were made (I still find that funny, oh the irony :P).

The whole idea behind the Tech Preview was to help-out PS financially while they were in the dev stage. In return, we get an early look-in to that dev process and a cost saving.

So TG2 has taken longer than we all might have wanted (way longer). So what!! It's called software development where it is the NORM. More so in light of the few that PS are. It wouldn't surprise me if they were doing work on the side to keep there heads above water as I cant imagine that a few copies of the Tech Preview could do that for so long now.

So show some understanding - they're people out there who want TG2 released as much as you... they're called Planetside.

Oh, and before you think that I'm some little fanboy, well I do like Terragen (and underdogs)... But I'm as unhappy with the delay(s) as the next person - But what can you do. Bitching ain't gonna make it come faster. Understanding why it might be taking so long does ease the frustration though.

After so long in development NOONE here should be under any illusion about PS when it comes to timescales - irrespective of what PS might say. So if you're on board with the Tech Preview, I'm sorry but you know what you were getting into and IMO have no grounds for complaint. Unless you actually do wish to launch legal proceedings against them and see a good product go down the drain... or maybe you do because you just need to get revenge for being shafted, I don't know.

Kevin F

Quote from Planetside website today:
The final release of Terragen 2 "Deep" and Animation module is scheduled for 2007

Moose

Yeah - and we all know what PS are like with these sorts of things. Like I said though, exactly how vindictive are you?

Kevin F

Quote from: Moose on June 24, 2008, 04:46:14 AM
Yeah - and we all know what PS are like with these sorts of things. Like I said though, exactly how vindictive are you?

well figure it out - I've been waiting for almost ten years! what do you think?